Railroad Forums 

• Harmon Trackstar III vhf radio repair

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#881289  by Bessemer866

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a Harmon Trackstar III vhf radio, that was in working order. I took the cover off the radio to adjust some volume levels and the squelch on the panel inside. I put the coverback on and connected the wires and for a split second put power to the radio with the wires reversed on accident. The radio no longer powers up, and I wondered if there is anyone who knows what the problem could be. I was told it could possibly be just a blown diode. I dont know how to fix this problem and can anyone here fix it or know some one that can. Thanks, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
 #881535  by Steve W

Have you checked all the fuses? There are a bunch of them near the power connector and that is where you should start. There is a guy in Rochester NY that is a Harmon expert and he fixed up mine after I blew the output transistors, I have his address on my home computer file. I have three working unit and a lot of parts
 #881560  by Bessemer866

Steve,

First off thanks for the reply. I have not checked the fuses yet, because the radio is complicated to take apart. But know that I know there are fuses inside I will see if I can locate them and check them (I would imagine they're inside). If I dont have any luck, if you dont mind I might send you a pm. If I cant fix it maybe the guy in Rochester can. Thanks for your help.

David