Railroad Forums 

• New scanner user-problems with new scanner

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#808321  by 7express

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm interested in picking up a scanner before I go to Chicago in July. Do I just go into a radio shack or best buy and ask somebody that works there for a scanner?? Would it be illegal to listen on Metro North, LIRR, NJ Transit or Amtrak or would I be able to listen to the scanner on those rails??

Moderator's note: Separated from the "Scanners-What do you use when railfanning?" thread.
 #809180  by scharnhorst

7express wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but I'm interested in picking up a scanner before I go to Chicago in July. Do I just go into a radio shack or best buy and ask somebody that works there for a scanner?? Would it be illegal to listen on Metro North, LIRR, NJ Transit or Amtrak or would I be able to listen to the scanner on those rails??
as along as its an 800ghz scanner you'll do fine I've railfaned with a scanner while on Amtrak and nobody has bothered me.
 #810141  by 7express

So, I just purchased a pro-404 from Radio Shack. The only thing I can listen too is the NOAA weather channel. Even though the 404 has the preprogramed marine, police/fire, and airport, the only thing that comes in cleary is the weather, all the other channels, including frequencies are static. I've tried fiddiling with the squelch as well and that hasn't improved the situation at all. I live in Fairfield county, CT surrounded by a lot of power wires and trees. Can the transmissions be blocked by the power lines and trees, and in that case if I purchased an add-on atenna would that help combat the problem?
 #810178  by Aa3rt

7express-I just checked out the PRO-404 at the Radio Shack website.

Before you go investing in an antenna, may I suggest that you sit down with the instruction manual and familiarize yourself with the operation of the unit? I suspect that by relying on the preprogrammed bands you're picking up a lot of noise or intermodulation.

I have an old BC-350A that I use for a mobile unit that has those same police/emergency/marine/air band selection buttons. A big problem with relying on these is that it simply opens up the scanner to searching through a designated frequency band. While this may work in some areas, it also greatly increases your chances of picking up stray noise, interference or intermodulation, especially if you're in a populated area.

(For example, I am less than 10 miles from the Potomac River and enjoy listening to marine traffic on the Potomac and the Chesapeake Bay. The "Marine" band on the BC350A picks up a lot of noise and due to my proximity, about 30 miles southeast of Washington, DC, there are lots of stray or harmonic frequencies that constantly cause the scanner to lock up on "noise".)

While I'm not familiar with Connecticut, I'd suggest that you find some local frequenices and program them into a private bank and scan that exclusively until you become more familiar with the unit's operation.

You might try a "Google" search or go back to the Radio Shack where you purchased the unit and see if they have a frequency list for your area.

While you've already purchased a scanner, some of the information at this site may prove useful:

http://radio-scanner-guide.com/
 #810310  by Ken W2KB

7express wrote:So, I just purchased a pro-404 from Radio Shack. The only thing I can listen too is the NOAA weather channel. Even though the 404 has the preprogramed marine, police/fire, and airport, the only thing that comes in cleary is the weather, all the other channels, including frequencies are static. I've tried fiddiling with the squelch as well and that hasn't improved the situation at all. I live in Fairfield county, CT surrounded by a lot of power wires and trees. Can the transmissions be blocked by the power lines and trees, and in that case if I purchased an add-on atenna would that help combat the problem?
Here is a listing of public safety frequencies in your county. Note that some may not be in use or used rarely. Try plugging them in manually (not scanning) to see what you can hear. Once you get that squared away you will be better able to program in the railroad frequencies you will need for your area and journeys.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=304

As to your question as to legality of listening on the train, that is OK if you use earphones or ear plug. Not allowed on the train to use a speaker as it may disturb other passengers.
 #810570  by scharnhorst

scharnhorst wrote:
7express wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but I'm interested in picking up a scanner before I go to Chicago in July. Do I just go into a radio shack or best buy and ask somebody that works there for a scanner?? Would it be illegal to listen on Metro North, LIRR, NJ Transit or Amtrak or would I be able to listen to the scanner on those rails??
as along as its an 800mhz scanner you'll do fine I've railfaned with a scanner while on Amtrak and nobody has bothered me.