Railroad Forums 

• Yaesu FT-250R and Railcom antenna?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#771321  by ckwwestshore

I have said radio and a SRH77CA antenna that I'm VERY happy with. I get on average 15 miles of reception trackside in either direction. First of all, whlle the railcom mag mount work with this radio? (SMA connector) and my next question. Would it improve my reception significantly? Anyone have this pair? If it helps, I railfan CSX in Rochester areas and the Southern Tier line, which is a bit more mountainous.

Charlie
 #773547  by Ken W2KB

ckwwestshore wrote:I have said radio and a SRH77CA antenna that I'm VERY happy with. I get on average 15 miles of reception trackside in either direction. First of all, whlle the railcom mag mount work with this radio? (SMA connector) and my next question. Would it improve my reception significantly? Anyone have this pair? If it helps, I railfan CSX in Rochester areas and the Southern Tier line, which is a bit more mountainous.

Charlie
Any antenna designed for the frequency range will work with the proper connector or connector/adapter combo at the radio end. The longer antenna will reduce flutter from relative movement of the train and receiver antennas, and it has more signal gain also. Marginal signals will be improved slightly from the additional gain. Also, if cost is a concern, the railcom antenna is only a regular commercial antenna which Railcom has trimmed the whip to the proper length for 160-161MHz. Commercial antennas come with a cutting chart and with a hacksaw and vice or pliers, anyone can cut the whip in a couple of minutes. So any one of several good brands of antennas will work fine also when cut according to the directions. Depends on the cost differential and preferences which way you go.
 #804872  by dummy

all i have in the truck is a radio shack scanner magnet mount with just the top section of the antenna in the base of the magnet. its just about 17 inches and works good for me. i didnt use the two other sections or the two center loads and it was affordable at about 40$. ill get 10 to fifteen miles trackside on a normal day.