Railroad Forums 

• Defect Detector range?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#751996  by the-rail-life

I'm contemplating going the scanner route, but I wanted to know if it's worth my while. I'm a little over 1 mile from the nearest grade crossing, and within 3 miles of 2 others. There is a defect detector located a few hundred feet from that closest crossing. Is it conceivable that I could sit in my house and catch the detector at the same time that I hear the train going through (or right before/after, depending on direction)?

Please do let me know if I need to provide any further detail. My location is in my profile.
 #752013  by kr4bd

If you have a detector only a little over mile away, you should hear it clear. I live about 4 air miles (with hilly terrain in between) from a detector on the NS just south of Lexington, KY. I hear it clearly on my handheld scanner, which is an antique Bearcat BC200 model from about 1990.
 #752515  by the-rail-life

Excellent. Thank you. Like you, I measured it "as the crow flies" and there is also rolling terrain in between. I'm up on one of the highest point, though.

Hmm...lots to think about now. Thanks again for the reply.
 #753710  by the-rail-life

'Tis true. Anybody know the radio frequency for CSX talking detectors on the RF&P? Haven't found a good source for that. May get myself a late Christmas present!
 #753746  by Aa3rt