Railroad Forums 

• RRs changing to digital (vs. analog) radios

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#730079  by Ken W2KB

Have any railroads converted to digital radios for operations? Any known plans to do so? Will the digital radios continue to utiltize the existing railroad spectrum (i.e., 160-161MHz) or move to new spectrum?

Arising out of Project 25, there are radios available that are capable of conventional (and future narrow(er) band) operation as well as digital. Many agencies are converting to P25 radios for the extra confidentiality that digital affords, and the dual mode radios facilitate phase-in over time meeting budget constraints. I have heard that FRA is "ecouraging" railroads to acquire digital capable radios when new or replacement radios are acquired.

Anyone have any insight?
 #730120  by DutchRailnut

other than narrow band, no changes will be made to railroad radio's, simply because it would hinder interchange of locomotives to other railroads.
no one is gone start or pay for changing 25 000 locomotive radio's in USA.
 #730379  by EMTRailfan

DutchRailnut wrote:other than narrow band, no changes will be made to railroad radio's, simply because it would hinder interchange of locomotives to other railroads.
Speaking of the narrowband, is that why a lot of the locomotive talk seems very low in output now vs. the dispatchers talking. I notice it particularly with CSX. I guess I'll have to convert my CSX channels to narrow band if that's the case. Yes, I fan with a radio (Kenwood TK272), but I cut the tongue out of my radio :wink:
 #737101  by AgentSkelly

Union Pacific out here in Portland operates a 2 site trunking system with P25 digital voice for the carmen at two yards.
 #746284  by kitn1mcc

from talking to a few guys i know who work for the MBTA they are looking to go to the Icom i-dash digital

right i am trying to get Valley on narrow band. i told them it is gonna be big dollars
 #746512  by EMTRailfan

EMTRailfan wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:other than narrow band, no changes will be made to railroad radio's, simply because it would hinder interchange of locomotives to other railroads.
Speaking of the narrowband, is that why a lot of the locomotive talk seems very low in output now vs. the dispatchers talking. I notice it particularly with CSX. I guess I'll have to convert my CSX channels to narrow band if that's the case. Yes, I fan with a radio (Kenwood TK272), but I cut the tongue out of my radio :wink:
Since making the above post, I fanned CSX up on the Lake Shore in North East, PA last Saturday. I converted my CSX channels to narrowband, and it seemed to help with receiving the output volume of the train crews. They were still considerably "quieter" than the dispatcher although they were very clear as I was right at CP73 when they were calling it out. To describe, it just sounded like the Engineer was holding the mic open for the Conductor to talk from the other side of the cab.
 #748317  by jmp883

Personally I don't see railroads going digital (P25). The AAR mandates that all locomotives that operate in interchange service be capable of operating on all licensed railroad frequencies. Not only would the railroads have to replace all their locomotive radios but they'd have to buy new handheld radios for their crews and upgrade their dispatch facilities. Of course the MOW people would either have to upgrade their radios as well or, illogically, stay on their current systems. That doesn't make any sense since 2 radio systems would then need to be maintained.

The one definite change that is coming is the narrowbanding of the current railroad band. The December 2009 issue of Monitoring Times magazine has an excellent article on the narrowbanding for railroad radio. The target date for all US railroads to be compliant is sometime in 2013. Most scanners and ham radios already come with user-programmable channel spacing so, for hobbyists anyway, it won't be that much of a financial burden. I'm not sure how easy it will be for the railroads to update their radios for narrowband operation but even if it means outright replacement vs. just a software upgrade it will still probably be cheaper than buying an all-new P25 digital system.

Should the railroads go digital? That's a debate I don't really want to start here....... :-D
 #753505  by Ken W2KB

came across this Kenwood press release on digital and/or P25 railroad conversion:

"Since the NEXEDGE™ series can realize a simple and low-cost transition from traditional analog systems, it is the best system for developing of small- and medium-sized systems. It has been extensively introduced by public service authorities such as railroad and electric power companies. . . "

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/en/news/2009/20090317.html
 #753512  by CarterB

As a radio dealer, I see no real advantage for the railroads to go digital. 12.5KHz frequency splits on analog after Jan 1, 2013 should work just fine. Most radios purchased in the past 10 yrs or so, are reprogrammable from the 25KHz to 12.5 KHz banding splits. Why fix it if it ain't broke??
 #753849  by AgentSkelly

CarterB wrote:As a radio dealer, I see no real advantage for the railroads to go digital. 12.5KHz frequency splits on analog after Jan 1, 2013 should work just fine. Most radios purchased in the past 10 yrs or so, are reprogrammable from the 25KHz to 12.5 KHz banding splits. Why fix it if it ain't broke??
I agree. Plus the fact I would think that AAR would have to agree on a standard for all railroads to operate on. Which the AAR has not made any official announcement.
 #759062  by Ken W2KB

Here's an e-magazine blurb on a new model clean cab radio that is designed for digital compatibility:

Ritron RCCR "Clean Cab" Railroad Radio

FCC Narrow band compliant locomotive radio is also "upgradeable" to digital NXDN @ 6.25kHz. The rugged, high performance, tri-mode capable RCCR is designed specifically to meet the rigors of the railroad environment. It is available in both a one-piece or two-piece remote head model. Made In America.

Found a link to the details: http://www.ritron.com/prod_rccr.html
 #762375  by jgallaway81

As with the Federal mandate for the conversion of the TV stations to go digital, the time is coming where even teh railroads will be mandated to a conversion to digital. Part of that is the implementation of PTC.

The BIGGEST factor for the mandating of digital spectrum is the increased bandwidth capabilities. If more frequencies become available for licensing in the same spectrum range, the FCC gets to make more in licensing fees. Like everythign else, it comes down to the all-mighty dollar.
 #762384  by DutchRailnut

and since no one will pay for 117 000 new railroad radio's other than Federal Government, if change is mandated, it will be safe to say that either way the Federal government will loose money.
A small railroad like Metro North has to replace over 1900 radio's and who do you think will foot the bill, specially after we just replaced all for narrow band capable stuff ;-)
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.