Railroad Forums 

• GE 12R series II radio

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#630501  by DutchRailnut

On Metro North , the new BL20gh and since this week a lot of P32acdm's are being equiped with the New GE 12R series II radio's.
These are compliant with new narrow band 12.5 Mhz spacing ,256 channels.

http://www.getransportation.com/na/en/1 ... radio.html

Wonder how many other railroads go for this Radio.
 #630661  by EMTRailfan

At least on the Emergency Services end, the radios have to be CAPABLE of the narrow spacing, so I'm guessing this is across the spectrum. Aside from RRs getting their radios compliant (if needed), I wouldn't think they will actually be converting the freqs./channels over anytime soon to 12.5.
 #630959  by Ken W2KB

EMTRailfan wrote:At least on the Emergency Services end, the radios have to be CAPABLE of the narrow spacing, so I'm guessing this is across the spectrum. Aside from RRs getting their radios compliant (if needed), I wouldn't think they will actually be converting the freqs./channels over anytime soon to 12.5.
Given the FCC madate for most services, I suspect that once existing inventory is sold out, railroads will not be able to purchase anything other than narrowband capable radios. Probably would cost less given economies of scale in manufacturing a radio able to be used by all services.
 #643616  by tree68

Anything bought new in the past few years is most likely at least narrowband capable.

The issue is going to be with older locomotives that still have the radio that was installed when the loco was new - those are all going to have to be replaced at some point.
 #715082  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:On Metro North , the new BL20gh and since this week a lot of P32acdm's are being equiped with the New GE 12R series II radio's.
These are compliant with new narrow band 12.5 Mhz spacing ,256 channels.

http://www.getransportation.com/na/en/1 ... radio.html

Wonder how many other railroads go for this Radio.
Are the cab cars and the M2/M4/M6 and M7's being equipped with the same sort of radio (the GE12R series II) or something different since there is less space in the cab.

Is MNR also replacing their portable radios to be compliant with the 2013 conversion?
 #728654  by kitn1mcc

the m7s from what i have heard have the Ma/Com jaguar radios

the older m series are going to have to take a lot of work to get a radio into there. i do not belive there is enough room in there for a clean cab radio
the older m series have motorola mitreks. one could take out the older drawers and interface some newer mobile radios. and not have to use a verry expensive clean cab unit. seeing how the cars only do need 4 channels anyway

the MBCR is using those new GE radio. it is really the only clean cab radio still built

also all radios built as of 1997 had to be narrwband capable
 #728682  by MNCRR9000

Hey thanks for the response. Go the GE Clean cab radios are more for the larger locomotives that have more space as compared to the M-7 cars. Do you know what types of radios the new M-8 cars are going to have?
 #775812  by kitn1mcc

there are some many options. and so many things they could go with from off the self to special built. seeing how they dont need a clean cab/all the aar channels
 #946520  by DutchRailnut

MNCRR9000 wrote:Hey thanks for the response. Go the GE Clean cab radios are more for the larger locomotives that have more space as compared to the M-7 cars. Do you know what types of radios the new M-8 cars are going to have?
The M-8 has same radio setup the M7 has.
 #975359  by Gadfly

Radio Fan Hunter wrote:If anyone knows of a link or if your selling a locomotive radio my sister broke mine let me no please thanks . hunter
Why wouldn't an ordinary scanner do?

GF
 #975495  by CarterB

It is illegal to have a transmit capable radio on the railroad bands. Get a scanner!!!
 #975547  by Gadfly

Radio Fan Hunter wrote:If anyone knows of a link or if your selling a locomotive radio my sister broke mine let me no please thanks . hunter
The illegality of transmitters on the railroads has been fully discussed in other threads. It bears repeating. Do NOT use a "transmitting" radio on the railroad bands, and it doesn't matter if "so 'n so" told you it is OK.
IF you are NOT a railroad employee, engaged in railroad business, or otherwise contracted and have the license (AND the rules qualifications), you are subject to fines of $10,000 UP PER OFFENSE and jail time if warranted!!!!!! I am NOT trying to be mean or grumpy, but jabbering on a railroad frequency, (getting your jollies talking to that train) will get you into mucho trouble! AND if I, for example, hear someone doing this, I will turn you into the Feds and the local RR police department! The reason is, railroading "can" be fun, and, for many people, a joy to observe. That is as far as it is to go! A railfan, no matter how much he wants to think so, is NOT part of railroading. It is a gritty, DANGEROUS business and accurate communications is vital to preserve life and limb. The reason for such regulations is to prevent confusion, establish procedures and parameters for all communications, and having someone yapping on a railroad frequency creates problems. Plus, very few foamers understand that there are union contract rules to consider that could cause a "time claim" and violations of FRA rules and regulations (not to mention FCC) that could cost the company a lot of money even tho they, themselves, are not the cause of the violation. I, myself, filed a claim against a foamer who somehow obtained a key to a station and was going inside and using the dispatcher's wire to talk to the dispatcher, telling him he was "working" off the Extra board. Why the Dispatcher didn't question this, I don't know. I got him permanently removed from the property. People who do that are taking work away from the employees who "may" be furloughed. Only union people understand this. Fans have NO BUSINESS "helping" us perform our FRA-governed jobs; you are putting yourselves and US in jeopardy safety-wise and work-wise. The railroads are always looking for ways to cut off employees!!! So that's why I would snitch ANYBODY I catch getting his jollies trying to 'imitate" a railroad employee.

Your scanner is fine, but anytime I hear of someone who has a transmit-capable radio, I become suspicious.
Methinks we need MORE "sisters"! ;)
Tnks.

GF
 #975555  by CarterB

Gadfly,

AMEN to your comments!! I also would, and have, turned in illegal usages of radios without hesitation, and will not hesitate to do so again.