Railroad Forums 

• CQ, CQ, Calling all RR.Net Amateur Radio (Ham) operators!

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#129  by Aa3rt

Greetings all-it's great to see the site back up. I know this has been done before, but as the old adage goes, "third time is the charm!" Would all of you amateur operators mind checking in once again? Name, call and QTH are all that are necessary, feel free to add more information if the mood strikes.

Name: Art Audley
Call: AA3RT
QTH: La Plata, Charles County, MD

You can usually find me on the KA3GRW (443.700 MHz) repeater in La Plata or the W3BPT (146.85 MHz) repeater in Blossom Point, MD.

I'm a life-long railway enthusiast but only became a ham about 15 years ago when my wife gave me a Pro-31 handheld scanner as a Christmas gift because I thought I "needed" one to monitor the local Conrail (now CSX) branch, the Popes Creek sub. Got heavily involved in scanning when former friend and co-worker W3ERU-SK encouraged me to get my amateur license. I'm an "Extra-lite" :wink: and also hold a General Radiotelephone Operators License.

Maybe this go-round we can finally get a net together for those of us who would like to chat on the air as well as at the computer.

SWL's and scanner enthusiasts are welcome to check in as well! :)

#153  by n2qhvRMLI

Hello Art,

N2QHV, Don here. Happy to see a radio page at the Forum, seems I've missed it on the old site. I'll check in to see what's going on and post as necessary.

I've been a Ham for twelve years. I'm the ARES EC for the Township of Southold NY and an active member of the Peconic Amateur Radio Club. For scanning purposes I have a Bearcat BC870XLT and I monitor the LIRR frequencies as well as local emergency services.

73 de Don, N2QHV

#156  by JOHN

AA3RT, DE KB2BAA. Hello Art The name is John and the QTH is Jackson, New Jersey. I also have a longtime interest in railroads and radio.

#405  by james1787

AA3RT de KB2FCV.

James here, from Summit, NJ. I've had a long time interest in railroads since I have been a kid. I ride the train everyday into work. One of the engineers I know is also a Ham. I belong to the New Providence Amateur Radio Club. 73,

#421  by Ken W2KB

And Ken W2KB

Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, NJ.
(not Lebanon Borough on NJT RVL, but rather near Califon)

NAVMARCORMARS NNN0SIS

#744  by w2dsx

Greetings all yet again! (for the third time :roll: )

Tower operator for a busy NYC area railroad - job title is telegrapher although it's been a loooooooong time since anyone seen a key! Been licensed 20 years, and this is one of the aspects that makes the hobby/service great. Hi to Don and the others, and is Ori out there (VA3ORI, the original culprit behind this thread)?

73!

** Curious about Amateur Radio? try www.arrl.org and click on how to become a Ham **

#1041  by SeldenJrFireman

Don,
You wouldn't happen to be the LIRR engineer that runs the greenport scoot?

#1049  by IslesFan

Art,
I'm a Tech class license holder (KC2IAO). I'm currently a college student at Polytechnic University in Brooklyn NY. I usually have my Ratshack pro-94 scanner listening to LIRR and NYC Subway stuff, and a Motorola HT1000 UHF on various NYC Area 70cm repeaters.

--IslesFan

#1090  by MC8000

:roll: Hello yet AGAIN. I hope that this is the last time we lose our site(but I should know better) The name here is Charlie and the QTH is Lapeer, Michigan along the old GTW (now CN of course) Flint subdivision of the main line. And the former Michigan Central Bay City branch of the Detroit Division, the route of the Northerner ( you could buy a Pullman sleeper ticket from Detroit to Bay City, 119 miles) and the world famous Michigan Timberliner from Detroit, the auto city, to the beautiful Straites of Mackinaw and the World famous Grand Hotel. OK OK, I know, enough already. 73...KC8JBK

#1174  by EdM

Hullo all, . K2LCK, 100% monitor 50.125 and usually the Grumman 145.33 machine. Hello Don, but do you ever hear any LIRR tfc out in Southhold? SRI I must miss the next Sat Riverhead thing, but will be out of town.. (I am more into B.S. than work anyway, and would be more value as a photog.) Everytime I think of Don's line, I remember going behind steam to Greenport in the early 50's, and, what no one seems to recall, the soot... Ed

#1914  by kc2bhx

Hello again!

The name here is Chuck Smith, kc2bhx. QTH is Seneca Falls, NY. If anybody gets around this way, give me a shout on the 147.00- (71.9) w2qyt machine.

73 Chuck Smith

kc2bhx

Seneca County NY EC

#2184  by railohio

I'm Brian Schmidt, KC8UYI. Yeah, that is a confusing call. I'm hoping to get around to getting a railroad-themed vanity call sometime this summer. I got my ticket in October 2002 and I'm really enjoying the hobby. Anyway, the QTH is Napoleon, Ohio and if you're in my neck of the woods fire up the Napoleon (147.315+) or Wauseon (147.195+) repeaters. 73s

#6525  by pcdude9190

I will hopefully have my license on April 24th but until then I listen to the Cherryville repeater (147.375) on my scanner.

Jeff
Last edited by pcdude9190 on Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#8121  by w1jpc

Hi!

I am John, W1JPC of Littleton Massachusetts. I am a new liscensee (extra) although I have been interested in Ham radio for over 50 years. Have been a railfan for years also. At present all I have on the air is a mobile IC 207H. I have an IC 718 at home still in the box which I hope to get on the air with at home this summer. Is there anyone near me out there?

John

#11124  by Engineer Spike

I'm Brian, N1UIJ, railroad mobile. 73
Last edited by Engineer Spike on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.