Railroad Forums 

• Illegal Use or "Bootlegging" on Railroad Frequencies

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1081396  by Gunsnclapton

It blows my mind what they do. I worked railfest at Steamtown a few weeks back, the first time I worked with that many foamers hanging around in one place. I was worried that some foamer somewhere might broadcast but much to my suprize, non did. But dont get me started though...Im not sure whats worse. Giving a foamer a working radio or giving a radio to a volunteer at some museum. The stuff they clog up the airwaves with is insane. I yelled at someone over the radio because I was trying to give instructions to my crew but meanwhile I have some idiot overstepping me talking about seating passengers. Just because you have a radio doesnt mean you HAVE to use it. Take 5 steps and talk to the guy in person.
 #1081399  by CarterB

As a radio professional, who teaches radio protocol to first responders...the First rule is LISTEN!!! Second rule: Keep it brief and to the point...Third rule SHUT UP!!
 #1081405  by JWright

Gunsnclapton wrote:It blows my mind what they do. I worked railfest at Steamtown a few weeks back, the first time I worked with that many foamers hanging around in one place. I was worried that some foamer somewhere might broadcast but much to my suprize, non did. But dont get me started though...Im not sure whats worse. Giving a foamer a working radio or giving a radio to a volunteer at some museum. The stuff they clog up the airwaves with is insane. I yelled at someone over the radio because I was trying to give instructions to my crew but meanwhile I have some idiot overstepping me talking about seating passengers. Just because you have a radio doesnt mean you HAVE to use it. Take 5 steps and talk to the guy in person.
Not all museums are like that. The only volunteers, and we're an all volunteer operation, at our museum that get radios are qualified train crew.
 #1081439  by Gunsnclapton

No I know not all volunteer groups are like that. I got my start on one. Its just some of these guys get a radio and it goes to their heads. At least around here in Scranton it does. Granted most of the guys I work with are great guys but a few are conductorzillas. When Im on duty as a dispatcher, theyll call me on the radio and demand things from me. Thats not the way things work. Your on MY railroad. That and a lot of them never made a hitch with 2 other crews on the same channel.
 #1084954  by Gadfly

Ever since the railroad cops "scolded" this guy that was bootleggin' the NS road channel, he has sort of disappeared! He used to hang out at some of the local watering holes, but ever since they got after him, he''s been scarce! Must've been quite a scolding! ;)

GF