Railroad Forums 

• Questions On Mobile And Base Setups...

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#323987  by Conrail4evr

Hello all,
I’m just getting into the whole radio thing, upgrading to a Kenwood TK-760G from a Radioshack Pro-2054, as well as a Motorola GP68 for when I’m away from my car. Right now, I have a Railcom antenna (I already know about the whole “waste of money” philosophy about it, so no need to bash me for that), although I’m considering switching to a 1/4 wave antenna since they seem to get better reception while on the move (I want to say due to the fact that the whip of the Railcom antenna moves around so much while my vehicle is in motion). Any thoughts for this, or what a good way would be to go for a mobile antenna? One thing though – it has to be magnet mount (I’ll leave it at this – I’m just a teenager, and my father would most likely do to me as I do to my car if I consider the more “professional” approach…).
Also, as long as I’m at it…I want to do a base station for railroad frequencies, specifically CSX’s mainline channel 160.800. I live about 12-15 miles from the tracks at their closest point (milepost 386 we’ll say), and generally can hear the dispatcher and nearby trains (from mileposts 373 to 402 or so), along with defect detectors at mileposts 377, 386, and 407, though granted, most of this is during cloudy conditions (I can still hear the dispatcher just fine during clearer days). Repeaters for the line are located about 20-25 miles away from my house (one in Rochester around milepost 370, another in Batavia around milepost 404).
Anyhow, I’m just looking to listen in with something that could cover a decent chunk of this, but still within reason in terms of money. I don’t need to hear Buffalo or Syracuse or anything, but the Batavia to Rochester stretch (406 to 367, roughly) would be nice. From the research I’ve done on my own, it seems like a home-built J-pole antenna could potentially work pretty well, though those Traintennas also look pretty nice. In terms of a radio, I’m thinking about a Kenwood TK-780, although I’ve heard that Icoms have better reception (but apparently lesser audio quality, not that audio quality matters much to me – it’s radio chatter, not an MP3 player after all!). And, just to throw in a slight curve ball…once again, my father comes into play – nothing is to be attatched to the outside of the house (roof, walls, etc). An internal install doesn’t seem like it would be very effective, though I could potentially attatch it to an old wooden fence along the side of our yard, or worse yet, from within a tree…I’ve heard of some methods merely using a wire in one’s attic to get good reception, which sounds very feasible for my situation. Any info on this?
Anyways, sorry about the lengthy post, just trying to gather some insight so I can make a better decision instead of one I will later regret! Thanks in advance for any help!

#324032  by Ken W2KB

The 5/8 wave antenna will be better than a 1/4 wave, even mobile. What you refer to is "mobile flutter" and is caused by multipath, reflections, etc., not the whip moving relative to the car. In motion the whip will deflect from the relative wind but not move much.

Putting the antenna in the tree raises the issue of lightning protection. Any outdoor antenna has certain building electical code requirements for lightning. The length of the coaxial cable feedline is important as the signal will be attenuated in proportion to the length. The shorter the better. If the concern with the house mount is holes, perhaps a chimney or sewer vent mount which only clamp on would be acceptible?

Look at www.hamradio.com for what may be available in the way of masts, mounts, etc.

#324037  by Clean Cab

I'll try to help you here a bit...........

I'm assuming you're looking for better recption in your house?

Since your father will not allow any antennas on the roof, you might want to try mounting one in your attic inside the house. Unless your attic roof or walls are made out of metal, you should have no problem receiving up to 20 miles on a clear night. Radio signals are not interputed by wood. Height is the key. VHF high band radio waves are omni-directional which means that they radiate out with equal flow in all directions, but they do tend to stay above say a roof line.

Contact me if you need any other help. I'm quite good with radios and scanners. Please keep in mind that it is technically illegal to have a scanner in a car. Even if it tuned only to railroad frequencies, it is still "capable" of receiving police calls. But that law is enforced as often as jay walking. Just don't get pulled over by the cops with scanner in your car!!

#324052  by Conrail4evr

Ken and capecodlocoguy,

First off, thanks for the responses!

I've heard numerous rumors about 5/8 wave antennas versus 1/4 wave antennas, that one being one of the big ones, though I guess that clears things up. Hopefully Friday morning I can get down to Radio Shack to get some wire and a 10 amp fuse to hook up my Kenwood TK-760G (I can't access the white power plugs since they're buried in the car in a way that it would involve removing the dashboard, radio, etc. just to access - it seems easier just to run wires straight from the battery, with the 10 amp fuse being the first in line, of course - don't want to start any fires).

As for the base station, well, I have no setup as of yet. The attic install sounds promising, however. Are there any recommended antennas for this approach? A friend of mine has a J-pole antenna which, though a fluke, managed to pick up a CP detector across Lake Ontario; he's since de-tuned it due to picking up too much chatter, although he has the benefit of living right next to the tracks. As has been the trend for me lately, I'd probably hook up a radio to it as opposed to a scanner, mainly because the reception is so much better (of course, it will be Rx only).

As for the police issue, from what I've been told, you have to prove that there are not any police frequencies in the scanner/radio, which my TK-760G holds true (the same can't be said about my portable, though that is also small and easy to stash should the need arise).

Overall, I'm just a teen who's really getting into the radio thing and is perhaps going a little overboard...but then again, there's no harm in learning! That and it kind of stinks having to sit in my car in order to hear the railroad chatter from my house...

Anyways, thanks again!

#324316  by Ken W2KB

Conrail4evr wrote:Ken and capecodlocoguy,

I've heard numerous rumors about 5/8 wave antennas versus 1/4 wave antennas, that one being one of the big ones, though I guess that clears things up. Hopefully Friday morning I can get down to Radio Shack to get some wire and a 10 amp fuse to hook up my Kenwood TK-760G (I can't access the white power plugs since they're buried in the car in a way that it would involve removing the dashboard, radio, etc. just to access - it seems easier just to run wires straight from the battery, with the 10 amp fuse being the first in line, of course - don't want to start any fires).

As for the base station, well, I have no setup as of yet. The attic install sounds promising, however. Are there any recommended antennas for this approach? A friend of mine has a J-pole antenna which, though a fluke, managed to pick up a CP detector across Lake Ontario; he's since de-tuned it due to picking up too much chatter, although he has the benefit of living right next to the tracks. As has been the trend for me lately, I'd probably hook up a radio to it as opposed to a scanner, mainly because the reception is so much better (of course, it will be Rx only).

As for the police issue, from what I've been told, you have to prove that there are not any police frequencies in the scanner/radio, which my TK-760G holds true (the same can't be said about my portable, though that is also small and easy to stash should the need arise).

Overall, I'm just a teen who's really getting into the radio thing and is perhaps going a little overboard...but then again, there's no harm in learning! That and it kind of stinks having to sit in my car in order to hear the railroad chatter from my house...

Anyways, thanks again!
If you hook the radio directly to the battery, be sure to fuse both the plus and minus wires, as close to the battery as possible.

#324317  by Ken W2KB

Conrail4evr wrote:Ken and capecodlocoguy,

Anyways, thanks again!
If you hook the radio directly to the battery, be sure to fuse both the plus and minus wires, as close to the battery as possible.

#324326  by Conrail4evr

Yeah, that's what my grandfather was telling me...the closer, the better (less chance of a fire). The radio is rated for 8 amps, so I'll probably go with a 10 amp fuse. Didn't know that both the positive and negative leads needed to be fused though...

#324371  by keeper1616

Why would you need to fuse the (-)? I've never seen that done.

#324599  by Ken W2KB

Standard in two way radios directly attached to the battery. Since the radio chassis is typically grounded where it is mounted, if the negative car's battery cable gets a bit loose at the car end, the negative return path for the entire car can in part or all be through the radio's negative cable and the radio itself. That can damage the radio, or even get hot enough to set the car on fire. A fuse in the negative radio cable prevents that.