Railroad Forums 

• New Yahoo Group for railfans and hams.....

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#249885  by jmp883

Good friend of mine just started a Yahoo Group for railfans who are also hams (or hams who are also railfans). It will be a place to share photos, tips about photography, ham radio, and railfanning.

Since our Yaesu FT-60R HT's can scan the railroad band we monitor the train dispatcher, local hotbox/dragging equipment detectors, and the EOT frequency to keep us up to date about what's coming.

If you are railfanning with a large group, or even just 2 of you, and you separate from each other to get different shots of the same train you can operate simplex to stay in touch with each other. Having a ham radio can also be an asset if there's trouble. Not all railfan locations are in the best area for cell phone service but I'll bet you can hit a repeater almost anywhere, even with a 5W HT. We also use our Yaesu FT7800R's in our respective vehicles the same way we use our HT's.

The Group name can be found at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NJAHRB/

While it's titled 'North Jersey' I don't think the moderator will have any problem with anyone who joins who is not from the NJ/NY metro area.

Ham radio and railfanning......can't beat 'em! :-D

73!