Railroad Forums 

• Motorola MT1000

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#220034  by NorfolkSouthernSean

I picked up a used MT1000 off eBay. It's one of the MT1000's with the lcd screen on the top, not the rotary knob, for channel selection. It has all of the AAR frequencies and NOAA programmed into it. It works amazingly well, a hell of a lot better than my scanner. Anyway the transmit feature has been disabled by the seller. The radio just beeps when you depress the button. Anybody know how to reverse this problem?

#220058  by clearblock

The radio will need to be reprogramed to enable transmit on each of the 97 AAR channels.

You will need to take it to a service shop that has the necessary software and programing equipment.

I asume you are employed by a RR licensed to use the AAR frequencies?
The shop that maintains your radios should have the equipment to do it.
If they can "clone" it to another AAR RR radio is is a fairly quick process. Otherwise, each channel has to be changed to either re-enter the TX frequency or remove the "receive only" restriction, depending on how the seller disabled it.

#220204  by NorfolkSouthernSean

Thanks. No I don't work for the railroad. I'm security for Lockheed Martin. I would want to be able to transmit on one of the non-AAR frequencies. I know there is a channel designated for railfan use.

#220237  by CarterB

Unless you have written specific permission to transmit (operate) on the designated AAR frequencies, you cannot legally transmit.
The MT1000 you have has properly been TX disabled. Your MT1000 cannot have 'selective' TX on some frequencies and not on others.

Just so you know, the FCC fine for illegal operation of a radio is up to $8000 per instance and/or confiscation of any/all equipment. Post 9-11, this is being quite readily enforced.

If you choose to continue to use it as RX only, no problem.

Just so you know, I am a licensed Motorola Dealer and deal with the FCC on licensing issues frequently.

#220256  by NorfolkSouthernSean

I am not talking about using AAR Frequencies to transmit on. I am well aware of the penalties.

#220301  by CarterB

The MT1000 can be reprogrammed to both TX/RX.

All you need is an FCC license and a set of frequencies that you are allowed to operate on.

#223776  by Big Rich Soprano

NorfolkSouthernSean wrote:......I know there is a channel designated for railfan use.
Huh? Since when? I think you might want to check that. The closest "citizens" frequency i know of is the 2 meter ham band ending at 148 Mhz and you need a license for that as well.

#242429  by chrisjz

I think NSSean is speaking of the 2-meter amateur radio frequencies commonly used by buffs. The primary is 146.490 and secondary 146.565. You will still need an amateur radio license (No-code tech at a minimum) to operate on those frequencies. I have heard of some buffs using FRS (Family Radio Service) radios, which you can get rather cheaply almost anywhere and don't need a license to operate. However, you will not be able to use that MT-1000 on the FRS frequencies since FRS is UHF and your radio is VHF.

#243788  by kitsune

There are a "Multi Use" set of channels in the 156.xxx series which are license unrestricted. They are fairly new, from within the last year or two, and are NOT to be confused with Ham bands in the 14X.XXX series. Search for "MURS" for more details, and be ABSOLUTELY certain you have an MURS channel if you do plan on using it.

As for permission, you are allowed to broadcast over any frequency that your employer is licensed to use. E.G. If you work at BN, you can use 161.100, amongst others. You don't need a license yourself; the license is owned by the employer.

As long as your MT-1000 is capable of broadcasting over your company's radio frequency, you have every legitimate reason to have your radio re-modified to broadcast. Just make sure you only key up when you're on your employer's channel.

#243818  by clearblock

kitsune wrote:As for permission, you are allowed to broadcast over any frequency that your employer is licensed to use. E.G. If you work at BN, you can use 161.100, amongst others. You don't need a license yourself; the license is owned by the employer.

As long as your MT-1000 is capable of broadcasting over your company's radio frequency, you have every legitimate reason to have your radio re-modified to broadcast. Just make sure you only key up when you're on your employer's channel.
This is not correct. Under FCC regulations, the license covers radios only operated under the control of the licensee. You must have formal permission from your employer to operate a personal radio under their license.

If your RR operates under NORAC rules, Rule 700 says " The use of radios other than those furnished by the company for railroad operations is prohibited".

Use of an unauthorized radio could subject your employer to FCC and FRA fines and cost you your job.

Also, The MT1000 does not comply with FCC power limitations for use on any MURS channel and does not comply with bandwidth requirements to operate on the narrow band 151 MHz MURS channels.

#243852  by DutchRailnut

The MT1000 is a 5 watt radio, the unrestricted channels in 156 000 Mhz are for 2 watt radio's only, those channels were created for contractors etc and Mc Donalds for drive tru windows, again those frequencies are for 2 watt only sets like the P-10 and CP150
 #265177  by RDGFan40

NorfolkSouthernSean wrote:Thanks. No I don't work for the railroad. I'm security for Lockheed Martin. I would want to be able to transmit on one of the non-AAR frequencies. I know there is a channel designated for railfan use.
What is that frequency for railfan use? Thanks.

#265213  by Ken W2KB

kitsune wrote:There are a "Multi Use" set of channels in the 156.* series which are license unrestricted. They are fairly new, from within the last year or two, and are NOT to be confused with Ham bands in the 14X.* series. Search for "MURS" for more details, and be ABSOLUTELY certain you have an MURS channel if you do plan on using it.

As for permission, you are allowed to broadcast over any frequency that your employer is licensed to use. E.G. If you work at BN, you can use 161.100, amongst others. You don't need a license yourself; the license is owned by the employer.

Yes and no. The railroad will be licensed for a specifc number of portable units. If the new one makes the total exceed that number, the railraod would have to apply for a modified license. Also, an employer might frown on use of non-company owned equipment.

#265215  by Ken W2KB

DutchRailnut wrote:The MT1000 is a 5 watt radio, the unrestricted channels in 156 000 Mhz are for 2 watt radio's only, those channels were created for contractors etc and Mc Donalds for drive tru windows, again those frequencies are for 2 watt only sets like the P-10 and CP150
Also, by the nature of the radios, the range of the radios is very limited so for railfan use they would only be of use for fans within a few thousand feet of each other in most cases.

#265254  by kitsune

Ken W2KB wrote:
kitsune wrote:Yes and no. The railroad will be licensed for a specifc number of portable units. If the new one makes the total exceed that number, the railraod would have to apply for a modified license. Also, an employer might frown on use of non-company owned equipment.
What is common practice, and what is not "frowned upon" are two different things.