Railroad Forums 

• Upgrading from Radio Shack

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1271479  by The ViRoCo

Hello!

Currently I own a Radio Shack (RS) Pro-404 that I use for railfanning. I also own a RS Center-loaded telescoping scanner antenna that I use when I am scanning in my house, which I do every day in the daytime. I want to upgrade to something stronger, something that has a good battery, that plugs into a wall outlet, something with alpha lettering, and something that will scan the railroad frequencies.

I was originally looking at the iCom IC-V82, that Fred Frailey mentioned in the Hotspots guidebook. He strongly recommended it, but after some advice on the radio reference forums, I will not likely be getting that one. I have heard good things about Yaesu, and Uniden. But I am having a tough time choosing because I am not a pro at the scanning world.

Visit the other forms here http://forums.radioreference.com/new-us ... ost2190739
I'm posting here too because I want more advice (advice from railfans, too.)

I'm on a budget of -$200, and I want something stronger that my Pro-404.

Thanks!!!