Railroad Forums 

• Upgrading to DSLR from Canon Powershot G6

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1032661  by MEC407

OK, excellent.

The $300 budget does mean that you won't be able to purchase a brand new camera (the least-expensive DSLRs currently on the market start at $450-$500), but you said you were willing to consider refurbished gear, so here is what I would recommend:

Canon Rebel XT body, $215

+ Canon 18-55 zoom lens, $79

Total: $294

You would still need to buy a memory card, but that shouldn't cost you more than $10-$15 and you can get one almost anywhere.

At some point down the road you'll probably want a telephoto zoom lens; I'd recommend one of these:

Canon 70-210 lens, $126

The gear I linked above is not factory refurbished by Canon, but has been tested, cleaned, and has a 6-month warranty from KEH Camera. (I've purchased gear from KEH in the past and have always had good experiences with them. I'm not connected to them in any way; just a happy customer. They are well-known in the photography industry as one of the best and most affordable places to buy pre-owned gear from. I know lots of professional photographers who buy from them.)

I wasn't able to find any Sony gear in your price range, but you can't really go wrong with Canon. I did find a couple of Olympuses that would fit your budget but they're older and not quite as versatile as the Canon above.
 #1032971  by MEC407

I avoid eBay like the plague, but I've always had great luck with KEH. The 6-month warranty they provide on all their stuff is very reassuring and is actually better than the 90-day warranty found on some refurbished gear. I've also had them do repair work on my cameras and they do a nice job.
 #1034954  by MR77100

MEC407 wrote:I avoid eBay like the plague, but I've always had great luck with KEH. The 6-month warranty they provide on all their stuff is very reassuring and is actually better than the 90-day warranty found on some refurbished gear. I've also had them do repair work on my cameras and they do a nice job.
Why do you dislike Ebay?
 #1035009  by MEC407

Had a few too many bad experiences with dishonest sellers, and a few too many hassles with PayPal (or as some dub it, PainPal).