Railroad Forums 

• Video Thoughts and Suggestions

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#645335  by harleyfiremedic

Hello all,

I just started to take train video along with my long standing love of photography. I have been watching as many videos, both amateur and pro, and I am starting to see exactly what to video and how to shoot it.

My question for you folks is...Do you prefer to see the complete train pass by or just the motive power and some of the consist?

Also if anyone has any thoughts on what makes good train video, please let me know. any input is welcome and I will take it and make it work for me as best I can.

Thanks in advance

Todd
 #645433  by Ken W2KB

harleyfiremedic wrote:Hello all,

I just started to take train video along with my long standing love of photography. I have been watching as many videos, both amateur and pro, and I am starting to see exactly what to video and how to shoot it.

My question for you folks is...Do you prefer to see the complete train pass by or just the motive power and some of the consist?

Also if anyone has any thoughts on what makes good train video, please let me know. any input is welcome and I will take it and make it work for me as best I can.

Thanks in advance

Todd
I generally like to see the complete train, with the possible exception of a solid freight train of identical cars such as solid waste containers or the like. Then the motive power and a few cars are enough.
 #645539  by EMTRailfan

I also like splices of a few different trains from the same location, or a few splices of the same train at different scenes from a chase.