Railroad Forums 

• How do post old photos

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#587929  by pierrerabbit

I've got a bunch of photos (prints), lost the negatives. I'd like to put some on one of the websites, like rr pictures archives, but I'm pretty much clueless to how its done. I have an HP scanner/printer, but not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Clueless Pete :(
 #587937  by RussNelson

It's very very likely that your scanner came with software to scan photos. I don't know how it works; you'll have to figure out how to use it by reading the documentation or noodling around. The important thing here is to remember where it's storing the photos. No. Better: write it down.

Once you have the photos on the disk, visit the photo sharing site and look for their upload link. I really like Flickr; so much that I dropped the $20 it takes for a "Pro" account. But they'll let you upload 200 photos before you have to pay. So, assuming that you're using Flickr, you log in. It will show you a link that says "Upload Photos". It will give you a form with a set of five text entry boxes that say "Browse" next to them. (other photo sharing sites will work the same way, so stay with me here). If you click on the Browse button, it will open up a file selection box much like any other program uses. Use that box to find the photos on your disk (wherever the scanning program put them). Select the photo you want to upload first. On Flickr, you can specify up to five files at once. Other sites may ask you to select one file at a time and describe it before uploading more files.
 #588352  by Otto Vondrak

pierrerabbit wrote:I've got a bunch of photos (prints), lost the negatives.
That sucks. But you can scan the prints and get good results.
I'd like to put some on one of the websites, like rr pictures archives, but I'm pretty much clueless to how its done.
Sign up for an account at Flickr, Picasaweb, Photobucket, Webshots, etc. All you do it upload your scanned images, and the web site takes care of the rest (resizing, things like that).
I have an HP scanner/printer, but not sure what to do.
1. Turn on the scanner.

2. Open up your scanning software.

3. Place a print on the glass of the scanner. Close the lid.

4. Your software will give you all sorts of recommendations for color and sizes... I'd say if you have a standard 4x6 drugstore print, then 14" wide at 72dpi is great for web viewing.

5. Make sure you save your scanned image as a JPEG. Save your image, then upload it to one of the sites we suggested above.

6. Provide us the link to your photos! :-)

Hope this helps.

-ott0-
 #588533  by pierrerabbit

Thanks, guys. I thought it should be that easy, but I think there's something wrong with the software. I've been working on it, but I know somethings not right. My buddy is a computer nut, he's coming over to help tonight.

As soon as I can, I will share my pictures. I have a lot of shots taken from my track work days on the BRW. My favorite is of CNJ 1523 on work train duty south of Ringoes. The picture is of it taking on water from a garden hose, from a neighbors house. (She had a leak that day). Imagine the surprise on the neighbors face when we asked to borrow the hose to fill a loco.