Railroad Forums 

• TSA Starting To Restrict RR Picture Taking

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#580149  by hebron_hapt

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4286032

Although this story is based on experiences in Utah, I know a lot of us take pictures of passenger trains all over New England. And since the TSA is now involved, theoretically it's now a federal issue, pertaining to all of us.

Taking pictures of FrontRunner could land you in trouble
September 17th, 2008 @ 4:31pm
By Courtney Orton

You're more than welcome to ride it, but if you snap a picture of the FrontRunner train, you could get in some trouble. A newspaper photographer was recently questioned by police for standing on the platform with a camera in hand. Surprised? We were.

As it turns out, there's nothing wrong with having a camera near the train, and there's nothing wrong with taking a picture of the train, unless, you're taking pictures of how the train operates.

Most riders wouldn't even think about snapping pictures of FrontRunner. And even if they did, as rider Deborah Jenson said, "Most people would be taking pictures of, ‘Oh look it's our first trip on the train.' Not anything scandalous or dangerous."

Dwayne Baird, with the Transportation Security Administration, said, "We have people who are train enthusiasts. They want to take pictures of the train, and that's OK."
 #580236  by CannaScrews

Grow up y'all.

We have met the enemy and they are us.

We have become the Soviet Union in many respects, at least in the name of security.

It is unpatriotic to question authority and we may end up in the Gulag - Guantanamo if we don't keep out noses clean.
 #580251  by b&m 1566

LOL... I don't even know what to say. If it were illegal to take pictures of trains altogether, then I would worry.
 #580480  by Tommyverrochi

i didnt read thet post, but what all of you need to realize is you have rights to photos, the only thing that you are not allowed to take photos of that i know of in a public standing is powerplants. and they have signs posted along their fences, so by railroads saying you cant take photos, you can tell them to GTFO fo your face with that and show them this, id advise you to print thisout and keep a copy on you at all times

barnes and nobles also sells a book related to your rights on photography its 34.95, i forget the name
 #580504  by RailBus63

I don't have a problem at all with what the TSA spokesman is saying. First of all, he acknowledges that rail enthusiasts exist and that photography is allowed. He then goes on to state that anyone who is taking an unusual interest in control cabs, running gear, trackwork, etc. would be considered to be acting suspicious and may be questioned. That's as it should be - if I saw a person along a railroad or transit line that was taking photographs of the infrastructure and acting out of the ordinary, I would notify the authorities myself.
 #580587  by wereswaldo1

So a guy was "questioned" about taking pictures of a train. Who cares, it was just some cop just doing his job. If someone was taking pictures of my neighborhood i would hope if a cop drove by he would at least question him.

yours very truly Mr. Waldo
 #580589  by b&m 1566

Tommyverrochi wrote:i didnt read thet post, but what all of you need to realize is you have rights to photos, the only thing that you are not allowed to take photos of that i know of in a public standing is powerplants. and they have signs posted along their fences, so by railroads saying you cant take photos, you can tell them to GTFO fo your face with that and show them this, id advise you to print thisout and keep a copy on you at all times

barnes and nobles also sells a book related to your rights on photography its 34.95, i forget the name
If you’re on private property though, your photography rights do not apply. A land owner (if on their property) can tell you not to take pictures and you have to obey it. The article states that the photographer was on the station platform when he was questioned. Although the station is for the public use, it’s still private property.
 #580600  by wereswaldo1

b&m 1566 wrote:
Tommyverrochi wrote:i didnt read thet post, but what all of you need to realize is you have rights to photos, the only thing that you are not allowed to take photos of that i know of in a public standing is powerplants. and they have signs posted along their fences, so by railroads saying you cant take photos, you can tell them to GTFO fo your face with that and show them this, id advise you to print thisout and keep a copy on you at all times

If you’re on private property though, your photography rights do not apply. A land owner (if on their property) can tell you not to take pictures and you have to obey it. The article states that the photographer was on the station platform when he was questioned. Although the station is for the public use, it’s still private property.

What? are you saying i can't lay down in the middle of the tracks and take a picture as the train goes over me?
 #580651  by b&m 1566

No.... That would be taking pictures of the under carriage; TSA will go after you! :wink: