Railroad Forums 

• Selling photos

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#562161  by harleyfiremedic

Hello all,

I am not sure if I would ever had the want or need to sell my photos, but I was wondering if there is anything that would keep any of us from selling the photos we take of trains.

Thanks for any insight
 #562186  by Ken W2KB

>>I am not sure if I would ever had the want or need to sell my photos, but I was wondering if there is anything that would keep any of us from selling the photos we take of trains.<<<

Generally no, one can sell them without restriction.

That said, some railroads, New Jersey Transit for one, require a permit for commercial photography (at a $$ fee) if the photographer is on NJT's property. If taken from a non-Transit controlled location, no permit needed.

To the extent that people appear recognizable in the photos, under certain circumstances you need a signed release from those people or run the risk of being sued for publishing their image.
 #562319  by EricB

harleyfiremedic wrote:Hello all,

I am not sure if I would ever had the want or need to sell my photos, but I was wondering if there is anything that would keep any of us from selling the photos we take of trains.

Thanks for any insight
Basically no. For editorial(news) or print sales, you usually do not require a release of any kind, but it is nice to have.

For commercial sales (advertising) you will most likely need to obtain a property release in order to sell photos with logos or trademarks visible. You will also need to obtain a release from any recognizable person in your images.
 #569278  by Finch

This is an interesting topic to me as well. As my rail photo collection slowly grows, I have begun to wonder if there's much else to do with it besides just put the nicer ones on Flickr (not that there's anything wrong with that). For example, what about Trains magazine or any other relevant publications? Trains magazine says to contact the Editorial Assistant for information about submitting photos, and says they will pay for photos upon publication. Has anyone around here submitted photos to Trains or any other publication? If so, how did you do it, what format were the pictures in, etc.?

For selling to individuals, I have no idea what I would do. Are there any good networks or resources that can be used to feel around for potential buyers? Might just have to do this one the old-fashioned way...whatever that is. I guess there's always ebay...(shudders).
 #577569  by EricB

For selling to individuals, I have no idea what I would do. Are there any good networks or resources that can be used to feel around for potential buyers? Might just have to do this one the old-fashioned way...whatever that is. I guess there's always ebay...(shudders).

Try the various micro stock agencies online...

I've sold this one 262 times over at Istockphoto
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup ... =cacv12000

there's also:

shutterstock.com
dreamstime.com
alamy.com