Railroad Forums 

• Shall I get a digital camera now or later?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#545689  by slashmaster

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a digital camera now or later when it will be cheaper? I know I'd save money over not buying and developing film in the long run but since digital cameras are becoming cheaper at a good rate I'm thinking I'll save money if I stick with film at least a little longer? Or maybe not?
 #545704  by EMTRailfan

In general, digitals have been out long enough that they are pretty much as cheap as they are going to get. The exception being with new models, but then as one new model gets old, it gets replaced by a newer model that will drop in price as it get old too. It all depends on just what you are looking for.
 #545738  by MEC407

The problem with waiting is that if you continue to wait for the prices to go down or for that next new model to come out, you'll be waiting forever.

That said, now is a great time to make the jump to digital. I was a diehard film shooter but it has become too difficult to find quality processing, and when you do find it, the prices are going up because the labs' margins are so slim and they're losing so many customers. I went to digital and don't regret it one bit. I still have my film cameras and pull them out on occasion for nostalgia's sake.
 #547887  by dj_paige

slashmaster wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a digital camera now or later when it will be cheaper? I know I'd save money over not buying and developing film in the long run but since digital cameras are becoming cheaper at a good rate I'm thinking I'll save money if I stick with film at least a little longer? Or maybe not?
Another thing to consider ... with digital, I take about 10 times as many photos as I did when I used film. Why? Because there's no cost and no delay to get the photos processed. To me, this is a HUGE advantage of digital over film, I can shoot pictures whenever I want now, instead of when my budget allows me to take pictures.
 #548124  by MEC407

Chessie GM50 wrote:The only problem that I have encountered with a digital camera is that, at least the ones that I've owned have had a bit of a delay from the time that you hit the "take picture" button, to the time that it actually does. but it seems to be improving with the newest models (mine is about 2.5 years old)

Is that still true with new digital cameras?
The problem you encountered is called shutter lag, and while it was a real problem with earlier point-and-shoot digital cameras, it is much less of a problem with the current generation. Digital SLRs in particular have no problems with shutter lag.

Some point-and-shoot digital cameras are a bit slow to focus, which can give the illusion of shutter lag even though there is none. This annoyance can be avoided by pressing the shutter release button halfway down, but not all the way down, just before taking the picture, and hold the button at that halfway point. This allows the camera to attain proper focus. Then, when the moment is right, push the button the rest of the way down and the picture will be taken, and there will be little or no delay.
 #589122  by Tommyverrochi

if you have heard of a nikon d70 it is truly a realy good camer for beginers, it can be found body alone for around 350-375 cheaper than some 35mm like the canon 1vhs or the nikon f5, but a relitave camera to the d70 is the d50, it goes for about 300-350 used, the d50 offer 1/500th sync and the d70 is unbeliely high im not sure but it might me unlimited sync, this would not mattter if you did not use a flash, a good place for finding these cameras used is www.keh.com they offer tons of used and new products, as far as a lens goes i would sugest a 50mm 1.8, or you could get a 28-80 3.3-4.5 which would be fine in oudoor situatians but for low light it might not be the greatest.

if you have anymoor questions, you can email me at [email protected]
 #589210  by umtrr-author

Short answer: as long as you can afford it now would be a good time. I'd wager there are even some good used digital SLRs available now as people have been able to upgrade their equipment. I have a Digital Rebel, the pre-XT version, and I've seen the newer models selling for less than I paid for the Rebel in November 2004 (or approximately 8200 images ago). I've gone from shooting maybe a roll of film every other month to shooting that much every time I take out the camera and point it at the kids (which was the main reason for my purchase... really, it was!).

In terms of lag-- not quite the shutter variety-- I have noticed issues with my Digital Rebel and the big honkin' 8GB Compact Flash card I now use. The delay is in writing to the card once it gets past about 200 images. (The Rebel actually can't figure out the capacity of this card so it's stuck on "999" images-- its release predated a CF card that large.) My solution to that when I'm home is to not take so many photos before downloading, but it sure was nice to be able to shoot over 400 images over a weekend away without worrying about filling up the card.
 #589224  by keeper1616

Target just put their Rebel XTs on clearance this week. Obviously, they may not be in stock, but out of the 3 stores I've been to, I've seen them at $249, $299, and $349. Now is a great time to buy a great camera at a great price.
 #610356  by Chessie GM50

Well, so far, I put up the Money to get the d60, with the 18-55 VR, and the 55-200 VR. I don't regret it a bit, the pictures come out 10000's of times better than the Fugi A400. I actually like composing the picture through the viewfinder, as opposed to the LCD screen. The shutter button is much more responsive, and I like having the ability to control the Shutter speed separately.
 #616897  by n01jd1

slashmaster wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a digital camera now or later when it will be cheaper? I know I'd save money over not buying and developing film in the long run but since digital cameras are becoming cheaper at a good rate I'm thinking I'll save money if I stick with film at least a little longer? Or maybe not?
I guess that depends on your financial situation, how easy it is to get decent film and processing in your area and what condition your camera equipment is in. If you can get film and good processing you may wish to wait if your camera is in decent condition. Then again, maybe not. Keep in mind that film is on its way out. Its going to get harder and harder to get film and decent processing as time goes by. There may come a time when the only place you will be able to by ANY film will be through B&H or Adorama. Heck, those are the only places I can even get Ektachrome anymore!! The drug stores dont carry any slide film and are cutting back on how much print film they carry. I wouldnt trust my film to a drug store mini lab and the number of decent one hour film places like Moto Photo have dropped like a rock, almost to the point of extinction. A number of labs in my area have stopped processing E-6 slide film. There is only one or two in my area that still process E-6, but for how long?? Who knows, Soon you might have to send your C-41 and E-6 film to Parsons, Kansas along with your Kodachrome for processing. New digital cameras are probably as cheap as they are going to get, however you can get a decent used digital camera for a modest price if you dont mind not having the latest and greatest with all the bells and whisltles. The fact of the matter is more an more people are ditching film for digital. That makes producing film and processing it less profitable. It seems like Kodak wants to get entirely out of film and Fuji cant be too far behind. While there may film someone to process it available for immediate future for the die hards and those who cannot go to digital because they dont have a computer, I think we have come to the end of the film era.