Railroad Forums 

• Transferring video to computer

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#526771  by Conrail1990

I wanna put my videos on my computer, but I dont know how. I use a Sony Handycam, and it uses small disks for recording. So the disks wont run like everything else. So how do I get these videos from these small disks to my computer?

#526773  by EMTRailfan

Are talking about the small MP3 disks that look like a smaller version of a regular CD? My CD -ROM drive has an indentation in the center of the tray for those smaller disks.

#526776  by Conrail1990

yeah. My drive has that indentation too, but wont do anything with the clips.

#526969  by Ken W2KB

Conrail1990 wrote:yeah. My drive has that indentation too, but wont do anything with the clips.
What format does your cam use? Did it come with software for installation on your computer to read that format?

#527011  by GOLDEN-ARM

Didn't your camera come with the cable, to hook it up, directly to the computer? Most of the newer ones have a cable connecttion, even though some make you pay extra for the cable(s).

#527466  by Holtz

Sounds like it is a Mini DVD format. Can you play the disc on the computer? If so, you can rip the DVD to the hard drive with software. A good program is hand brake (http://handbrake.fr/) works with Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
You can also use a cable (USB or Firewire) if your camera supports it. If so, the camera should have came with software. You play the video and capture it at the same time (1 to 1.)
Hope this helps....

#527764  by MEC407

If all else fails, read the manual. :wink: If you bought the camera used and it didn't come with a manual, you can download one from Sony's web site.