Railroad Forums 

• Best zoom lens for railroad photography

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#455391  by St-Jean Diamond

Being the owner of a Canon Rebel XTi dslr camera, I'm in the process of upgrading from the lousy lens that came with the camera. (18-55mm)

Based on your experience, what would be the best all-in-one zoom lens for railroad photography. Bear in mind that the Rebel has a 1.6 multiplying factor. So when we're talking about a 200 mm lens, it is actually a little more than 300 mm equivalent for this camera...

Thanks for the responses.

#455566  by NCPhotographer

Tamron is known for making good aftermarket lenses. I don't know that I would go as far as to say you'd never need another lens except for extreme closeups, but it would have a large portion of the spectrum covered.

If having a brand new lens isn't that important to you some camera shops with an online presence such as KEH or Broadway can be a good option to check as far as pricing goes.

#455632  by MEC407

Tamron just came out with a new 18-250 zoom. According to the reviews I've read, it actually performs better than the previous 18-200, and has a nice metal lens mount rather than plastic.

Another option -- one that would probably yield even clearer, sharper photos -- would be to replace your 18-55 with something along the lines of the Canon 17-40 f/4, the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5, or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. All of these are much faster and much better quality than the Canon 18-55. For distance shots, there are plenty of good options, such as the new Canon 55-200 IS, or the Tamron 70-300 Di.

#458069  by dj_paige

Although I am a Nikon user, not a Canon user, I do recommend the lenses that have a wide range of zooms. In my particular case, it is the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. The advantage of this when shooting trains is that it gives you several perspectives to shoot from when a train approaches: distance, medium and short range. All without having to change your lens. (The VR doesn't really help with trains, it is the 18-200mm that I love)

#458340  by MEC407

You forgot to mention that that's a $2100 lens. :P

#465026  by lb101

I personally find that with my canon digital rebel that the 70-300 lenses with a U.V. protector to work great while shooting different roads.

#465276  by Steve F45

I use a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on my xt and 40d. I know sigma just came out with I think a 18-200 image stabilizing lens for canon's. Tamron also makes some nice lenses.

There is a canon 70-300 IS but I think its pretty up there. If you want a somewhat inexpensive telephoto, sigma 70-300 DG, Sigma 70-200

#465314  by Orgnoi1

The question posed is sort of vague... so its hard really to give a legit answer without knowing what sort of needs you have. Most of what was said in the previous posts will hold true to some extent. Lens buying is all a personal preference and opinions will vary with that.

My personal opinion is that aside from Nikons 18-200 (rated the best wide to tele hyperfocal in its class) and Sigmas 50-500 Bigma, I would stay away from any of the Hyperfocal lenses. The reason being that while its a great deal to have a "catch-all" lens you will be lacking in performance 99% of the time in the extreme ends. This holds true to just about every lens in this class.

So in keeping with the initial question you posed... can you put a $$$ figure on what you are willing to spend on a lens? What type of shooting you plan on doing? What type of conditions you normally shoot in?

The only hyperfocal lens I personally own is the 50-500 Sigma... while most people have learned to love to hate this lens I have found it to be a good lens if I want to take a one camera/lens solution to the field, but granted... its a heavier and more expensive lens than most people want to deal with. Also with it being a lens that only performs well in good lighting it turns a lot of people off.

My other two lenses in the class of telephoto zoom are the Sigma 100-300/4 and the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS. Both of these lenses are stellar when it comes to longer and lower light shots. But stellar comes with a price tag.

My one criticism of your post is this... it is a common misconception that a crop sensor camera multiplies the lens. This is completely false. A 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens no matter what camera its put on. The difference being that because its a smaller sensor it crops the outsides of the image circle off thus giving a visual perception that you have a longer lens. This can be good or bad depending on your usage. The good part is the visual aspects since it seems longer... and that since it doesnt "see" the outsides of the lens it only uses the "sweet spot". The downsides are that you cant use wider lenses and have them give you the proper effect (the exception being ef-s lenses that make adjustments for the rear of the image circle).

#497298  by Fred G

dj_paige wrote:Although I am a Nikon user, not a Canon user, I do recommend the lenses that have a wide range of zooms. In my particular case, it is the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. The advantage of this when shooting trains is that it gives you several perspectives to shoot from when a train approaches: distance, medium and short range. All without having to change your lens. (The VR doesn't really help with trains, it is the 18-200mm that I love)
I'm also a Nikon owner and I second this choice of lens. If I'm only bringing one lens, it's that one. I can't really add to your post since you've covered all the bases. If there's an equivalent Canon lens, I'd suggest it for an everyday zoom.