Railroad Forums 

• Ulead Videostudio

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#405591  by NS59

Was wondering if anyone out there as experience with Ulead Videostudio 10? When I capture the video from my camcorder it looks amazing, but as soon as I start the editing process the file shrinks and it looks like garbage right through to the final product.

Dave

#405598  by Peter Radanovic

What format are you opting for? I see that MPEG format looks very clean.

#405601  by NS59

Start out in the AVI format and convert to MPEG for the burn.

#405604  by Peter Radanovic

Hm, I've never uploaded any of my videos onto my computer, so I don't know about image quality. I am always amazed at how some videos end up in MPEG format. I don't think that I have U Lead 10 software.

#405702  by JhnZ33

NS59 wrote:Start out in the AVI format and convert to MPEG for the burn.
The original AVI file will always look better than MPEG, as MPEG is a compressed format used to squeeze the information into a smaller file for the web or to a DVD.

Have you burned the MPEG to DVD and viewed it on a TV? I think you'll see once you view it on a TV, it will look a whole lot better. Can't judge what you see in your preview screen in Ulead or any editing program, as many times the preview is usually only half the video frames and low resolution to prevent it from hogging resources during editing.

Be sure you check your settings for conversion to MPEG, as many times the software defaults to a "safe" resolution setting to avoid locking up the average computer.

Make sure your computer is "tweaked" for performance to handle video editing. Video editing is very demanding and can be a resource hog on computers.

Lastly, if Ulead has a help forum (like Pinnacle, Sony and others), I suggest visiting those forums for helpful advice which is more geared towards your editing software.

*EDIT: Ulead does have support forums and can be visited here

John

#405935  by NS59

Well. That was the next part of the problem. The Disc i burned would not play on our DVD player, but somehow I feel that may be related to its $29.99 price tag (will be buying a new one soon).
I tried using the DVD I burned on the computer and found it was much improved over the quailty of the version showing on the actual ULead program, but there still is a very noticeable blur and the file size was much smaller than the orginal AVI version.
Have tried the Ulead site but have had trouble regeristing, I ask to receive an Email with a new password but it never arrives.

Thanks for the info... any ideas (would the version on the computerversion viewed in quick time player still look worse than the same DVD used in a compatible DVD player?)

Dave

#405974  by JhnZ33

NS59 wrote:Well. That was the next part of the problem. The Disc i burned would not play on our DVD player, but somehow I feel that may be related to its $29.99 price tag (will be buying a new one soon).
Believe it or not, many cheapy DVD players will play ANYTHING while they work. When they break (and they will, because they ARE cheap), they are pretty much disposable.
I tried using the DVD I burned on the computer and found it was much improved over the quailty of the version showing on the actual ULead program, but there still is a very noticeable blur and the file size was much smaller than the orginal AVI version.
As I said, the AVI file will ALWAYS look better than the DVD, as the DVD file is compressed to fit on a DVD. The DVD file will be MUCH smaller than the AVI file.

The DVD will look good on a normal TV. If not, you'll have to check your authoring settings to make sure you're getting the best quality.
Have tried the Ulead site but have had trouble regeristing, I ask to receive an Email with a new password but it never arrives.
You know, I have T1 internet speeds and the Ulead forum site still loads slow for me. I would try calling or emailing tech support from the Ulead products site.
Thanks for the info... any ideas
As I don't know the Ulead software (I use Pinnacle Studio and Liquid Edition), I can't be of specific help about the software.
(would the version on the computerversion viewed in quick time player still look worse than the same DVD used in a compatible DVD player?)
Yes, as the computer screen is progressive scan and a TV is interlaced. Computer monitors tend to drop video fields of an interlaced video, giving a soft, blurred image.

JJP

#406691  by NS59

Checked it out on the TV today and it looks to be about equal in (poor) quailty to the playback on the computer. It is smooth, but the numbers on the sides of most of the locos are very blured. I also compaired it to a home video sent to me by a friend with a lower quiality editing program, and it looks better then mine.

Dave

#406707  by JhnZ33

NS59 wrote:Checked it out on the TV today and it looks to be about equal in (poor) quailty to the playback on the computer. It is smooth, but the numbers on the sides of most of the locos are very blured. I also compaired it to a home video sent to me by a friend with a lower quiality editing program, and it looks better then mine.

Dave
Then I would have to say it's something in the quality settings of the render engine or burning application of Ulead Video Studio. Again, I can't be of specific help concerning the software, as I don't own it or know it.

Typically, I find that almost all burning applications included with these entry-level editing suites leave much to be desired in the terms of quality of video and reliability of the burnt disc. I have moved on to a third party authoring and burning software, which gives me far superior results, reliability and flexibility of tools to be creative with the final product. Best of all, "it's so easy a caveman can do it".

John

#406731  by NS59

Well I've tried just about everything up to this point, including all the settings. I got no response from the ULEAD people. For a $100+ product its pretty sad. If anyone out there is thinking of a video editing program STAY AWAY FROM ULEAD. Can anyone recommend another product so I can throw this thing in the trash.

Dave

#406862  by JhnZ33

NS59 wrote:Well I've tried just about everything up to this point, including all the settings. I got no response from the ULEAD people. For a $100+ product its pretty sad. If anyone out there is thinking of a video editing program STAY AWAY FROM ULEAD. Can anyone recommend another product so I can throw this thing in the trash.

Dave
I don't like to make specific recommendations, but rather give some suggestions on where to look to compare products.

Take a look at the forums and product sites of Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Studio. These forums and product websites will have a wealth of information (especially the forums), which will help you decide on a particular product.

Be sure to take note of the specific computer requirements and suggestions for setting your computer for the best performance and results. Your computer can be the biggest stumbling block if it's not up to the task of video editing (and the biggest source of grief!).

If you want to skip using a computer altogether, another idea would be to purchase and use a set top DVD recorder with a hard drive and editing capabilities. Though a more expensive option than an entry level editing program and having limited flexibility when it comes to creating menus (generic at best), I find they usually produce a higher quality DVD because of their decent Variable Bitrate Rate recording system. The DVDs they produce play on a wider range of players and the recorders are usually a walk in the park to use.

Before I started using computer editing software, I used the Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD recorder with hard drive. Again, no fancy menus, but I still use it today (5 years later) to record and burn train programs from TV. I find it still produces DVDs as good as (and in some cases, better) my computer burned DVDs. And the DVDs produced on the Panasonic DVD recorder ALWAYS play on every DVD player I've put them in. Can't say the same for the DVDs burned on my computer.

John
Last edited by JhnZ33 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

#406866  by JhnZ33

NS59 wrote:I also compaired it to a home video sent to me by a friend with a lower quiality editing program, and it looks better then mine.

Dave
The other idea would be to find out what your friend uses. Remember, the camera plays the biggest part in the quality of the video. The way it was shot is another important factor. If you use a tripod when shooting and have a slow, steady movement from scene to scene, the video will look a lot smoother and sharper than a hand-held shoot. Shooting hand-held will usually yield shaky and many times blurry results.

The next factor would be the way it is captured to the computer, followed by the software and settings, and finally the method used to burn the video.

If you can replicate your friends equipment and methods, you should see the exact same results.

John

#406920  by NS59

My capture in .avi is actually better than his videos and i always use a tripod for my shots. The problem is when I go from the catpured file into editing. As soon as a title is added or any transition scene is added.

Dave

#407103  by MEC407

I use Windows Movie Maker, which is free and comes pre-installed with most recent versions of Windows (XP and newer). The "commercial" software that came with my video capture card was complete and utter crap, but WMM does a pretty decent job and didn't cost me anything. The latest version in Windows Vista is supposed to be even better.

Apple iMovie is really nice. I'm envious of my Mac friends who have that at their disposal.

#407246  by JhnZ33

MEC407 wrote:I use Windows Movie Maker, which is free and comes pre-installed with most recent versions of Windows (XP and newer). The "commercial" software that came with my video capture card was complete and utter crap, but WMM does a pretty decent job and didn't cost me anything.
And just how do you burn to DVD?

John