Video Tape Quality?

Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

SOO4601

Video Tape Quality?

Post by SOO4601 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:10 pm

Hey guys,
I finally hooked up my video camera to my computer so I can now post them, but every time I record the video onto my computer the quality is bad when I re-watch it. While it's recording it's pretty decent, but even if I sent the quality to the highest when recording and watching, it's still pretty bad. Is it just me, or is there another way to make the quality better?

Thanks,
Dietrich :-)

kuzzel540

Post by kuzzel540 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:36 pm

When I have any troubles with video/audio playback or recording, I go to afterdawn. Here is the forum for digital camcorders.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/55

*You will need to be a registered user to post. Sign up is free and takes a minute.
Thought about you when I get the Honey Maple Ham.

Plywoodhall33

Post by Plywoodhall33 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:01 pm

Here is some tips:

Don't watch it back before uploading
Don't tape over something else
Have Firewire(if you have a port)
A good camera
Sometimes the way you put it into a certain file can change it,ex:DivX quality is high,BMP is horrible,MPEG is OK,AVI is good,WMV is good,.DV is the best,but uses to many MB
DIVX comes out like this:<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

PS where are you going to post the videos?Thanks-Kyle

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:07 pm

[moved to the Photography & Video Forum - ov]
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:09 pm

How are you transferring the video from your camera to your computer? If your camera VHS or digital? What kind of computer do you have? What software are you using?
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

de402

Post by de402 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:58 pm

The easy way.. if you have some cash.. get a mac and a dv camera.. preloaded with imovie and quicktime you can make anything.. and if you get better you can get (and more cash) can go final cut hd..

you can edit on a pc.. avid has a free version of their software but it only allows you to edit two audio tracks. however... xp or vista kinda blows IMHO and the learning curve is a bit higher.. but hey.. to each's own.

it also helps to think ahead when your shooting, plan your shots, and think about your subject. as for formats.. avoid bmp...wmp anythink M$ft. If you want to share it with the most people. flash or quicktime is best..

hope this helps -e

Return to “Photography & Video”