Railroad Forums 

• Best Video Camera for railfanning

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#386812  by MR77100

After my Sony 8mm handycam went MIA, I am trying to find a worthy replacement. I was considering one of those hard drive camcorders, but I hear they do not trace moving objects well. Any suggestions?

#387021  by railohio

All my friends swear by the Canon GL1. I can't vouch for it myself as I'm not shooting video, but if four of them agree on it that's gotta say something.

#387760  by MEC407

As with still cameras, choosing the right one depends greatly on how much money you want to spend. Giving us an idea of your budget will make it easier for us to give you a recommendation.

#390122  by LNJ614

Actually if you can get a panasonic PV-gs500 would be a great camcorder or the sony HC-96 would do just fine. The panasonic is a 3 chip machine witha 1/8000 shutter speed. Hope that gives you a little insight. The only drawback is that they cost more than 500 dollars.

#392693  by LNJ614

Hey , I was doing more research and panasonic has a new mini dv camcoreder call the GS320 for under 500 dollars. Sony has 3 mini dv camcorders for under 500 as well that should fit your needs just fine. (HC-26,HC38 and the HC38.) Hope that helps you

#393027  by keeper1616

I've never been a big fan of mini-dv or any tape-based digital system. I had a bad experience a few years ago with the camera eating the tape.

The best I could recommend is the sony sr-82. Its hard-drive based, a little higher than you were looking ($799 retail), but you should be able to find it cheaper. (I found some for $549)

#393271  by JhnZ33

keeper1616 wrote:I've never been a big fan of mini-dv or any tape-based digital system. I had a bad experience a few years ago with the camera eating the tape.

The best I could recommend is the sony sr-82. Its hard-drive based, a little higher than you were looking ($799 retail), but you should be able to find it cheaper. (I found some for $549)
If you plan on editing, assembling and outputting the video to DVD, you should stick with MiniDV. MiniDV format is compatible with ALL video editing systems, unlike some other camera formats.

JJP

#406335  by chuckmitchell

I use a JVC MiniDV camcorder, and it is easy to use, and It has great recording quality. Sound, and everything. All for about $365 or so.

#406453  by Peter Radanovic

I use a Panasonic Mini DV for all of my railfanning-videos.