Railroad Forums 

• Night photogaphy

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#486411  by Sand Box John

"mxdata"
I have been experimenting with a Pentax digital SLR that accepts their older manual focus "A" line of lenses and have found it to be very easy to use for time exposure shots at night. My favorite lens for this is the 35mm f2 "A" series, which is approximately equivalent to a 50mm on the digital camera. Using the manual focus lens removes all the autofocus mechanism involvement, you just set distances by the old fashioned focus scale. With an electronic release and a tripod, you get to see the results instantly and can immediately make any needed adjustments.

That’s what I did when I took pictures in Landsdowne Maryland of the CSX signal bridge along Hammonds Ferry Road. I took a total of 36 pictures. I chose this one as the best.

Image EXIF Data:
Camera Make : Nikon
Camera Model : Nikon D70s
Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Date Time: 2006/11/24 19:51:08.1
Image Format JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: (Original) 3008 x 2000
Image Size: (Published) 1044 x 681
Focal Length: 70mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Time: 30 seconds
Long Exposure NR: On