Railroad Forums 

• Trainspotting and a birthday. HELP

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1419158  by AndrejRail

Hello railroad forum,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but to be honest I don't know if there is a right place for this post. If it would go better somewhere else please let me know and I will try to get it moved.

It is my grandfathers birthday coming up and I want to get him something that will be involved in his trainspotting activities. But in all honesty, I am clueless! when it comes to trainspotting or trains in general, I don't even really know what's being spotted when he goes out. Is it the train itself as a vehicle? or do the letters and numbers in his notebook have something to do with it? either way, I know he loves it and has done for many many years. Every weekend my grandmother tells me he meets up with a few other friends and walks to the local sidings where they would stand and wait for trains, hour after hour.

I understand that some of you won't be interested in trainspotting and might not know anything about it, just like me. but, you might know of some of the aspects that are found interesting about trains, then I would be able to adapt this information into the gift. Hopefully. I haven't really spent much time with my grandfather since I've been working a lot more recently so, It would be great for me to do something for him on his big day also. If you guys have any ideas about a great day out with the old fella that would be much appreciated also.

I'm looking forward to some replies and hopefully some great advice that will point me in the right direction!! ALL advice/ideas welcome.

Thanks
Andrej

#1419320  by kilroy

A little more data please Andrej. Where are you located? That would help us give you ideas.

Sorry, I don't recognize the location of the photo.
 #1419604  by AndrejRail

Sorry about the lack of information my location should have been written above. It's in a place called #stapleford, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire. And the picture is just an example of what he would sit and look at. i will see if i can find an actual picture of the sidings he visits. Thanks for the reply
 #1419823  by AndrejRail

That's no problem! Hopefully, the next person to jump in will be able to help- me out. As of the picture I couldn't find one that I was 100% sure it was Toton sidings, to me all the pictures pretty much looked the same.

Thanks
 #1419837  by kilroy

The photo is of Canadian Pacific locomotives so it is from Canada or northern United States.
 #1419909  by AndrejRail

AndrejRail wrote:Hello railroad forum,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but to be honest I don't know if there is a right place for this post. If it would go better somewhere else please let me know and I will try to get it moved.

It is my grandfathers birthday coming up and I want to get him something that will be involved in his trainspotting activities. But in all honesty, I am clueless! when it comes to trainspotting or trains in general, I don't even really know what's being spotted when he goes out. Is it the train itself as a vehicle? or do the letters and numbers in his notebook have something to do with it? either way, I know he loves it and has done for many many years. Every weekend my grandmother tells me he meets up with a few other friends and walks to the local sidings where they would stand and wait for trains, hour after hour.

I understand that some of you won't be interested in trainspotting and might not know anything about it, just like me. but, you might know of some of the aspects that are found interesting about trains, then I would be able to adapt this information into the gift. Hopefully. I haven't really spent much time with my grandfather since I've been working a lot more recently so, It would be great for me to do something for him on his big day also. If you guys have any ideas about a great day out with the old fella that would be much appreciated also.

I'm looking forward to some replies and hopefully some great advice that will point me in the right direction!! ALL advice/ideas welcome.

Thanks
Andrej

After researching I have found a few books on Trainspotting and all about trains. Check this link out and tell me if the books are useful please guys
http://www.for-sale.co.uk/trainspotting-book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1419971  by kilroy

Andrej,

I'm on the wrong side of the pond to be of help with the books. I recommend you tell him to pick a day and you'll take him to the spots he wants to go. Trust me, the time spent trackside talking to you is more important to him than the trains.