Railroad Forums 

• Photo enhancement

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1275431  by BR&P

Scot, I disagree. I'm not sure of the science of all this, but the photo at lower enlargement does NOT look like the example you posted.

Do this:

1. On the photo of the loco above, click on it.
2. When the new image comes up, click on the magnifying glass in the lower right corner.
3. That seems to bring up the same pic again, click on the magnifying glass again
4. You now have the photo much enlarged from the original, but not as far as what you have used as an example.

Note the white letters of the "N", "Y" and "C" are separated, not all run together as you show. Note also you can in fact read the letters themselves. And there is a very clear break between the initials, and the white of the number below - it is NOT connected like the "crown" you have shown when you enlarge it even more.

I'm headed out of town, otherwise I would ask my neighbor, who knows nothing about railroads, to look at the pic at the size I describe above, and say what letters are on the caboose. That will eliminate the idea of seeing what we already know to be there. Maybe when I get back I'll do that. Or maybe some others on here can give it a try.
 #1275839  by scottychaos

ah ha! there *are* two different resolutions on photobucket!
I only clicked once and only saw the 640 pixel wide version, the one that is actually posted in this thread..
thats the one I was going on, and the only version I was talking about..(the only version I thought existed)
I didnt know you could click the magnifying glass twice on photobucket..

but there is a 2nd higher resolution version! excellent..
(why didnt you tell us it was there in the first place? ;) I have only been looking at the 640 pixel version..you never said a larger one existed.)
here is the larger version:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq25 ... g~original" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes, the NYC is slightly clearer..still cant make out the number though. :(

Scot