Railroad Forums 

• Nikon D3000

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1187681  by Lackawanna565

Any suggestions on taking better photos with this type of camera? I got some good shots. But I had more failure then success.
 #1190631  by MEC407

Can you provide us with some more details about the types of problems you're experiencing? Better yet, perhaps post some of you're "failure" photos so that we can try to figure out what's going on?
 #1253713  by Montrealrail1

I had a D3000 in the past and it's a great camera for who want to start doing picture with great quality

I have few question..
witch kind of objectives do you use with your D3000 they must be AF-S objectives AF only will work,but no auto-focus

Witch kind of settings do you use?..automatic,no-flash,mode "P" or mode "A"
And finally,do you owned it brand new or used?

By using this kind of camera for a while..best recommanding I can tell
not use the Dlighting option,that false sometime the viewing on screen..
never remain on screen for a picture,the best way to view them is on a computer screen..
when taking picture,never put the focus on the headlight,picture will be too much dark,make the focus on the side of the locomotive give better results
if your lense have VR option,it's good on day time..on night shot,better to put it off for better results VR will false proccessing on night environment.
on day time,do not go over ISO 200 and at night time,over ISO 400 you will have risk to have noise in you pictures.(look like grains in black parts of the picture)
if you have a picture sample,just add it on a post,so we can have a much better idea..

here's a shot I did with my D3000
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 1#exifshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to improve your skill,alway's remember three things.
1) camera are only a tool,the resulst alway depending from who push on shutter button..
2)get prepared..when prepare to take a shot,choose your frame,imagine your subject and get some shot,to find the best setting,you will impressed yourself by the results..
3) Share with other photographs your'e will meet on your way,it's the best way to learn..
 #1254620  by Lackawanna565

This one of my better photos. I have failure then success in my opinion.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2446106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But most of photos come out like this. Some have noise in the photo.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2543114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1254624  by MEC407

What kind of lens (or lenses) are you using? What shooting mode are you using (Auto, Scene Modes, Manual, etc)? What ISO/sensitivity setting are you using?
 #1254631  by Lackawanna565

I use the 18-55mm and 55-200 lenses I got with the camera. The first photo I shot with manual setting. Second one was with shutter priority. I think the ISO set at 200. I just mainly fiddle around with the camera to see if the shot comes at good. It looks good on the camera. But must of the time it looks bad when I upload it to the computer.
 #1254634  by MEC407

Thanks for the info. For the time being, I would recommend setting the camera on Auto mode. Try shooting in that mode for a while and see if you notice any improvement. The Auto modes on Nikon cameras are very good.
 #1255901  by ACeInTheHole

MEC407 wrote:Thanks for the info. For the time being, I would recommend setting the camera on Auto mode. Try shooting in that mode for a while and see if you notice any improvement. The Auto modes on Nikon cameras are very good.
I dont know how the auto mode on the Nikon DSLRs work.. But on my P520, it takes charge of everything in Auto mode. Including the ISO. Try instead seeing if the camera has a P setting, for Programmed Auto as the 520 calls it. The camera will take charge of the shutter speed and aperture, but will let you control the ISO. If the camera grabs too high an ISO on you, the shot will turn out too noisy and youll be back to square one. Hence why I shoot in programmed auto and not auto if im in a situation where its kinda cloudy and the lighting is constantly changing between trains.