Railroad Forums 

• LSRC C425M question

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1015518  by EDM5970

One other thing that was done at Hornell was the elimination of the crankcase exhauster. No more motor- GE used an exhaust eductor to generate a negative pressure in the crankcase, which Alco was very against even trying in earlier days. I got this tidbit, and a few others, from a gent who was with GE at Hornell and later with LSRC.
 #1015940  by EDM5970

I think they would have to have air starters. Unless you have one of the dash 8 or dash 9 GEs, alternators don't spin over very well on batteries. Although I did know at one time an ex-NYC U-30B that had a pair of 36 VDC Leece-Neville starters, wired in series, and a big ring gear-
 #1016418  by Bright Star

The eductor style crankcase exhauster was also used on the D&H 251 powered RS shop rebuilds.

On the Dash-7's, the aux gen and exciter were set up so that they serve as the starter motors. Perhaps the D&M units used this arrangement.
 #1016508  by mandealco

I haven't checked specifically on photos, but I don't think the D&H / GB&W / D&M rebuilds have air starters. The main spotting feature of Alcos with air starters is a third air tank. If you check photos of both sides of the rebuilt 424s and 425s, look for a third tank.
Cheers
Steve
 #1016536  by PEIR

Only two tanks on the engineers side of the units so no air start on the D&M/LSRC units. This has proven to be a very interesting thread.