Railroad Forums 

• PA-4 16 to Texas?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#839987  by D.Carleton

As per Trains.com "the other" repatriated ALCo PA has been gifted by the Smithsonian to the Museum of the American Railroad in Texas. While any progress in the preservation/restoration of this noble artifact is positive the destination is questionable. This museum was recently evicted from its site in Dallas and is in the process of moving north to Frisco, TX. It is hoped that this instability shall pass and not jeopardize the future of this locomotive.
 #1078896  by PheonixDragon

I wonder if the Smithsonian would rather have that locomotive seen as a working unit, instead of a static show piece?
Any idea as yo whom we show search for and speak to about putting it to work?
 #1079757  by tgibson

That unit is essentially a hulk, and will take a lot of time and money to restore, even to static status. We were hopeful that with the Smithsonian's resources they could do a first class job of it. It seems they have dropped the ball...

Of course this could be a great thing and we might end up with another PA running around the US, but I reserve further comment until I see some progress being made. Very few museums could take on such a job and succeed (unfortunately), with the time and money that will take. Hopefully it will turn out for the best!