Railroad Forums 

• Minnesota Commercial??

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#736341  by N. Todd

I was up there in July, a C424 was on the ready track, an RS27 returned from switching, the AlcoCat was in the shop, and the M420 and another 424 were stored amongst nuerous GE's...so yes the Alcos are very much alive.
 #739087  by oibu

Yes, they still use them, although which ones at any given time varies, and they are gradually getting phased out by the GEs.
 #744252  by mtuandrew

oibu wrote:Yes, they still use them, although which ones at any given time varies, and they are gradually getting phased out by the GEs.
They definitely are still using them - I saw RS-27 #316 moving a train downgrade under Hennepin Avenue this afternoon. I don't think the Monster of the Midway (M630 #73) is active at the moment though, some pictures noted that it's been out of service for a year or two.

(http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1719315 - not my picture, definitely not today, hah)
 #745595  by oibu

The 73 is on teh WNYP, I'm sure you menat the M636Cat 71. I ca't say firsthand/100% certain, but no it's been a coupel year since I can comfirm it operating.
 #809748  by Matt Langworthy

ERIE 360 wrote:The 73 is now operating as WNYP 631.
Prior to operating on the WNYP, #73/#631 was restored to running condition on the B&H, a "sister" shortline of the WNYP. Here she is on a test run two years ago:

Photo taken by me Friday 8/22/2008 in the town of Bath, NY.
 #842064  by mkerfe

Does anyone have a current roster for the MNNR (both Alco and otherwise)?
 #1437975  by mkerfe

Does anyone have a current roster for the MNNR (both Alco and otherwise)?
Are the Alcos still used and if so what jobs are they on?
 #1439839  by mtuandrew

mkerfe wrote:Does anyone have a current roster for the MNNR (both Alco and otherwise)?
Are the Alcos still used and if so what jobs are they on?
When I was there and paying attention last (2016), they still used four-axle Alcos, and still rostered six-axle ones. Pretty sure they largely use Dash 7s and Dash 8s by now.

Contact these guys maybe? http://twincitiesrailfan.com/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;