Railroad Forums 

• Alco S series underframes

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#662792  by Lehighton_Man

Hey all,

I am trying to model a ALCo S2, using 3d modeling programs, and engine schematics, but, i have ran into a slight problem.
It appears that under the main frame of the locomotive, a second Structural frame, I'm guessing for support? is attached to the main frame, but isn't as wide.
Can anybody here, guide me in the right direction?
Thanks.
 #663022  by tgibson

Hi,

As I remember the width was about as wide as the carbody - a check of a model would confirm that? The depth you can get from any side view drawing. I don't remember it having any special shape from an outside view, just a "bar" shape.

I'm sure others can give more info...
 #666144  by cdw

On an S2 I beleve what you are calling the main frame is the side sill that runs the length of the unit.The second structural frame you refer to is the center sill.This section runs between the body bolsters. This section is actualy the main support of the unit. On an S2,RS1 etc. the side sill contributes a signifigant amount of support. On Alco Century series this section contributes less support. On an M or C 636 it does nothing more than hold up the walkway and handrail posts and provides a place to mount the reservoirs .
Dick Welles