Railroad Forums 

• Ohio Central Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#571178  by AdamCKach

I've read on multiple online boards that the Ohio Central, now under new ownership, intends to sell off its Alco fleet. Merely out of curiosity, might GVT grab one or two?
 #571184  by RS-3

The OC Alcos have been for sale a long time. (All OC locos are always for sale.) I'm sure GVT would be interested, but price, need and condition will, as always, be the determining factor.

RS
 #571555  by thebigham

Last I heard, they were not interested in acquiring more Alcos. They have more than enough.

It's too bad. The LA&L have enough too.
 #571590  by Alcoman

Ya gotta get'em while there hot! Scrap prices might give the owners no other choice they don't sell them. This goes for any railroad selling Alcos.
 #572107  by AdamCKach

Thanks for the insight, folks.

I only hope they have some buyer. There's nothing quite like seeing an Alco run.
 #572732  by PVRX1

Pretty much everything on the Ohio Central roster has traditionally been for sale for "the right price".

G&WI may dispose of the ALCOs or they may not. After all they kept the two C420s out on the Little Rock & Western when they acquired Rail Management Corporation.
 #597458  by thebigham

John Mech reported on another board that all the Alcos are for sale. $65-$70k each.
 #597486  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm not sure about how "valuable" those locos are, as scrap. The spot market today (11-01-08) shows culled railroad scrap metal at $222.80 per ton/bulk. This is over 40% off where it was only 6 months ago. The trends are showing all metals in decline, excluding Platinum and Palladium. Just a thought. :-D
 #597531  by Allen Hazen

Golden-Arm---
Thanks for the "reality check"! ... I assume "culled" means after the locomotive is disassembled. So to estimate the scrap value of a locomotive you'd
----multiply the price of scrap by the weight (that's the easy part, and leaves you in the $30K ballpark)
----subtract the costs of taking it apart
----but ADD the value of high-value components that would get culled before the rest goes to the scrap-metal dealer????

Is that about right or did I misunderstand?
 #605573  by Alcoman

One Alco has been sold (C420 # 7220) and 2 others have sales pending.