Railroad Forums 

• PRESERVED ALCO HH LOCOMOTIVES

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#555706  by Alcoman

On other topic we were talking about the RELCO HH660 # 603. It bring to mind that we have not heard much about Relco # 606-X-Buffalo Creek # 43.
Anyone hear new "News"?
 #762225  by smph50

:-D Hi All! I finished updating the story of #43's move in November 2009 on our WebSite. Progress so far, pictures of the work that took place before the move and video's. John helped me get this project going three years ago! Thank You John!

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/bc432009.htm

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Sincerely, Scott
 #762963  by Alcoman

I am very pleased to see progress made on this Alco. Good luck Scott and the rest of the WNYHS in restoring this rare Alco. Keep us posted on its progress.
John
 #768503  by krobar

I wish the folks on the D-L would take a look at the former DL&W HH that Relco has (had?). Either they or someone at Steamtown since it would fit in with the stuff they have there at the time period they are portraying.
 #1395867  by smph50

Hi Guys!

Wow, has it really been 6 years since we poked this thread?

Last Saturday, July 30th 2016 my small crew of guys and I reached a milestone in the restoration of Buffalo Creek #43. We got it started and it ran good for the first time in 17 years. Keep in mind there were just two of us for the first five years since I started this project in 2006. We now have four regular guys in Hamburg at one time. We were ready late last summer but scheduling problems with the Buffalo Southern railroad prevented the big event. The video below explains most of the details but feel free to add any question you might have.

We tried on July 23rd but did not have enough battery power to crank the prime mover fast enough. (only 64 volts for a 112 volt system) On the 30th, we had 80 volts and BSOR ALCO S2 #100 to keep eight of the batteries fully charged. Being tethered to the battery cables prevented us from moving but ALL systems checked out great!

The Heritage Discovery Center in Buffalo still has no tracks but eventually #43 will make its home there as a operational historical display. Until then since we now have a a running locomotive, we can go after funding to buy our own batteries and and other maintenance supplies.

Sincerely, Scott H.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JHi9mKhZqfg
 #1395957  by Allen Hazen

Smph50--
That's great news! You and your band have my admiration for your dedication to the cause.
Curiosity question: in BCR 43 one of the High Hoods with GE electrical gear or one of the ones with W'house?
 #1395973  by smph50

Hello Allen,

Thank you for the kind words! There is still some work to do but it is rewarding to see what we have accomplished.

#43 was built with all GE electrical equipment.
And 99% of everything still works! A real testimony to ALCO, its suppliers and the guys who took pride in their work 76 years ago!

Sincerely, Scott
 #1396062  by smph50

Hi Thibson!

Thanks for recognizing our efforts! Us "old guys" tend to stick to a project and see it through to an end.

Even if tracks are not ready at the museum, the BSOR wouldn't mind getting her out on the main after FRA certification.

We'll keep you posted. Sincerely, Scott
 #1450737  by smph50

Hello All!

On October 21st, 2017, the Buffalo Creek #43 crew and I started #43 for the last time this year before we had to dump the water and cover the radiators. The four minute YouTube video below shows how we did. Unfortunately we only have two traction motors fully wired at this time and we need all four to make our first move. Over the winter we will get the other two ready for next spring. We do have 11 used loaner batteries on the engine to keep the generators energized and operate the compressor, radiator fan and lights.

When #43 rolled out of the ALCO Schenectady shops in 1940, it was wired for Series/Parallel operation which would have allowed it to move with one pair of motors. But, sometime in the last 40 years, it was rewired for Series operation only necessitating all four motors be connected.

After it reluctantly started the engine ran good for over 2 hours and 13 gallons of diesel fuel. However, it gave us a chance to check out the systems we reconditioned over the summer and to charge the 11 on board loaner batteries. A huge shout out to Pat Connors and the BSOR for all their help moving this restoration along and to John Mech (Alcoman) for all his valuable Mechanical and Electrical manuals!

https://youtu.be/qCy-TesXCQc
fswork1117a.jpg
As always, you can visit our website for all the details of our restoration progress.

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/bc43Frame1Source1.htm

Sincerely, Scott H.