Railroad Forums 

• Scrapped Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1071238  by Alcoman

thebigham wrote:^A couple of the units may be saved...
I would not hold my breath on that until it happens...The AHTS group has no money for this or anything else from what I am told. So unless they have a sugar daddy that will hand them $20K to do this, I don't see that happening.
 #1071242  by traingeek8223

John

Part of the money is there. It's far from a done deal but it is within our reach to raise the rest to move the RS3. I cannot say i'm optomistic about the others though.
 #1071245  by Alcoman

traingeek8223 wrote:John

Part of the money is there. It's far from a done deal but it is within our reach to raise the rest to move the RS3. I cannot say i'm optomistic about the others though.
If that is the case, Great! But keep in close contact with CP on this so that the engine does not get cut up by mistake. I have seen that happen before. Also, get any agreements you make with CP in writing so you have proof that that an agreement was reached.
 #1071436  by thebigham

Make sure you put a sign on the RS3 you want saying DO NOT SCRAP.
 #1074724  by Alcoman

This photo was taken last Thurs. Not much has changed since.
Attachments:
Colonie Yard 002a.jpg
Colonie Yard 002a.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
 #1078890  by PheonixDragon

Back in 1995, we bought 1 EMD F7 and 11 ALCO S2s. The EMD got a new engine, (from Caterpillar); while we scrapped 7 of the 11 S2s. Of the 4 remaining S2s, we put new Cat diesels under the hoods, backing them up with GE generators. I don't remember the numbering or old road name of the former owner, but we have them numbered as "ALCO-CAT"s #101 thru #104. Unfortunately, none of the original ALCO diesels were conducive to being rebuilt. Cracked blocks; cracked heads; holes in the oil pans; Valve covers missing; Rocker arms missing; turbo charging missing; blowers missing; bolts rusted and missing. We did save all the old power trucks, fuel tanks, and frames and carbodies for four of those we scrapped; but have done nothing with them; (although we are considering turning them into powered B-units).
We use the powered units for moving loaded and empty scrap cars in and around our salvage yard/plant.
We would like to find the frame and body for the ALCO PA Series; or as many of them as might be had.
 #1084228  by The Man

Another one is about to bite the dust, M-420-TR #27 is slated to get cut this week. We tried to sell it and no real offers came in, the unit is not something I feel like dumping cash into when I don't need it so a deal was cut to cut it. I was sure to sell it to a salvage company who sells locomotive parts so the parts will live on in other alco's not just tossed in the melter.

JJ-
 #1090162  by nessman

Guess that explains why the M-420-TR @ Griffiss was gone when I rolled through there a few weeks ago. Too bad - was a unique locomotive... but can't save everything.
 #1180461  by thebigham

^John Mech reports here that the above 4 at Colonie will probably be scrapped soon.
 #1200181  by thebigham

Morgantown, MD, Power Plant Alcos

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Judging from recent movement and past similar actions, local observers believe three RS units at the Morgantown, MD, power plant may soon be scrapped.

and....

The Alco RS1 locomotives at Morgantown, Md. have been out of service for some time. The last unit had a crankcase explosion as the result of a spun rod bearing. Two of the locomotives are ex-Washington Terminal units, the third is unknown and was just purchased for parts.

The scrapping process has already started on the locomotives. Some parts are being harvested from the locomotives to keep other 539 powered locomotives running.

Some old pics at Google:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en ... co%20rs-1s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1226880  by thebigham

thebigham wrote:^John Mech reports here that the above 4 at Colonie will probably be scrapped soon.
D&H 4082 at Colonie was scrapped today.
 #1226887  by thebigham

High St crossing of the rail-trail in St Johnsbury:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=St.+Johns ... 0,9.1&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remaining Mt. Vernon St bridge abutment:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=St.+Johns ... ,9.24&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Removed Mt. Vernon St bridge abutment location:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=St.+Johns ... ,4.62&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1237899  by mandealco

Hi
Just wondering if any of Lake States rebuilt centuries survived the torch, or are they all gone.
Cheers
Steve
 #1237935  by jimnorthwood

Lake States is an all-EMD railroad these days. The four C-425's, numbers 1280, 181, 281 and 381 were scrapped in 2011. The lone C-420 was cut up a few years prior to that.