Railroad Forums 

• Morrison-Knudsen RS #802

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#488329  by RZerr

This unit is probably long gone now, but perhaps someone remembers an Alco RS2 or 3 painted yellow marked Morrison - Knudsen #802. I saw it in 1980 or 1981 switching equipment at M-K's shops in Boise, ID belching black smoke with every move. There were many remains of other Alco RS units around the outside tracks at the shops. Recently going over my collection of old photos and looking at these forums and online rosters, some of the locomotives and remains were identified which is interesting as I didn't have a clue what they were back then.
I thought it would be interesting to find out the history of this particular locomotive and others that went to Morrison-Knudsen. I modelled this locomotive back then in HO scale.

#494115  by Herr Spreng

802 was an ex-EJ&E RS-2. They may have purchased more than one.
As for RS-3's, 6 were purchased from the B&M (1500's). Two were re-man jobs for D&M-so I would guess the other 4 were scrapped.
There was also an ex-SP C-628 that was re-conditioned for Mexico and never shipped.

Herr Spreng