Railroad Forums 

• Ed Bowers

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#412564  by Luther Brefo

I've heard this gentleman's name thrown around all over the Alco world but still have no real grasp as to who he really is and what the extent of his Alco "empire" is.

Can anyone inform the less informed?

I understand he has been responsible for a lot of saved Alcos in part but beyond that, I have no clue who is.

#412647  by Alcoman

I met the man once many years ago. He came to Albany,NY looking for Alco parts. Seems like a nice guy. I do know he worked (or works) for NASA. He is also a partner with the Tishimingo RR in the South.

I will give him alot of credit for "saving many,many locomotives from the scrap heap.
It nice to know his investments have benefited many of us and future generations to come.

Keep up the good work Ed!

#412857  by N. Todd

Ed owners Vintage Locomotive, Inc., many Alcos have been shipped around with VLIX reporting marks. Ed is a locomotive dealer, somewhere in Texas.

#412879  by Bryanjones

N. Todd wrote:Ed owners Vintage Locomotive, Inc., many Alcos have been shipped around with VLIX reporting marks. Ed is a locomotive dealer, somewhere in Texas.
it should be mentioned that Mr.Bowers deals with not only Alco's but EMD and GE units as well. He has done quite a bit to save some great locomotives. As an L&N fan I'm greatful for for what he has done to preserve some examples of original L&N power inlcluding the last existing L&N GE U30C, a GP30, a couple C420's and most recently a unique GE 70tonner repowered by L&N with an Alco 6-251 prime mover. There are others as well. Many of the units that he owns are on long term loan to the Southern Appalachian RR Museum and he has more locos at other museums as well.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#412924  by Alcoman

The GE 70 tonner....Is that the one at Tropicanna in New Jersey? Or is there another one in addition ?

#412973  by pablo

Can I assume that the 6-251-powered 70 tonners were a failure? I'm not sure what the power rating is on those (I'm guessing 1000 or 1200 HP) but I would assume significant wheelslip.

Dave Becker

#413092  by SSW9389

Ed Bowers has been very instrumental in saving vintage locomotives. As a member of the Cotton Belt Rail Historical Society I have seen first hand the results of Ed's work at the Arkansas Railroad Museum in Pine Bluff. Several of the locomotives at the museum are there due to Ed Bowers and there is talk of several more showing up in the very near future. :wink:

Ed Cooper
Crestwood, KY

#414741  by dsrc512

Ed's GE 70-tonner is the Tropicana unit. It apparently had a long productive life with the 6-251 in it. I have loaned Ed a couple of GE lifting devices so it can be loaded on a flat car with a crane.

The sister unit was sold to the Marianna & Blountstown in Florida. I saw it there derelict with cracked side sills at either end of the fuel tank before the railroad was scrapped.

Alex Huff

#414966  by oibu

IIRC 70 tonners had 660 HP C-B engines. So the jump up to 800, 900, or even 1000 HP (depending which version of the 6-251A or B was applied) probably did not cause to much trouble. Especially when you consider that a bigger engine and correspondingly larger generator probably added a few tons of weight to the unit.