Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned, Derelict, or Parts Supply Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#410295  by Alcoman

ATK wrote:
scottychaos wrote:the definations are fluid..the owner doesnt really matter..
any group can say they have bought a diesel for "preservation"..
but if they buy it, then its sits in a swamp for 20 years, and is then scrapped, was it ever really "preserved"?? no, not really.
Scot, well said!

The most important factor for the equipment in Colonie is, who owns the property that the equipment is sitting on(?) I certainly don't think that its the M&H group. All of that equipment is in danger the moment the property owner decides to take action to reclaim that land. And correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that stuff sitting on disconnected track???

As for the WM FA, seems like that plan has been in the works for at least 8 years now, if not longer.....
The property that the equipment sits on is owned by CP. The track is disconnected however, when the FA is ready to be moved, the track will be reconnected just to move the locomotive(s) out. It is hoped that the Albany port RS-3 will also be removed at that time.

#410383  by RS-3

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain the WMHS has not owned the 302 that long. Anyway they are doing their best to get the unit moved, no small order given its condition and location (and the money spent to just purchase it in the first place). Currently they are doing everything within their power to get it moved, and restored to operating condition. Give them some time, they know the clock is ticking but these things don't happen overnight. With luck it'll move later this year. See:

http://www.moosevalley.org/wmrhs/projec ... ect302.htm

RS

#410398  by pablo

Wasn't the name of the person who posted that ad a Mohawk executive board member?

Dave Becker

#410476  by Alcoman

RS-3 wrote:I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain the WMHS has not owned the 302 that long. Anyway they are doing their best to get the unit moved, no small order given its condition and location (and the money spent to just purchase it in the first place). Currently they are doing everything within their power to get it moved, and restored to operating condition. Give them some time, they know the clock is ticking but these things don't happen overnight. With luck it'll move later this year. See:

http://www.moosevalley.org/wmrhs/projec ... ect302.htm

RS

I was down at Colonie Yard today and found a group a guys doing work on the unit. All the side panels have been replaced and painted. I am told that it will be inspected in 2 weeks by CP and they expect to ship out the FA in about a month.
The WMRyHS has owned the FA-2 since 1994. I was the one who sold it to them on behalf of the Chapter.

#410596  by RS-3

Thanks John, I stand corrected re ownership. At least now things are finally in motion to get it moved.

RS

#411261  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:Wasn't the name of the person who posted that ad a Mohawk executive board member?

Dave Becker
Yes, and he still is. That's why I prefer leaving names out any discussions.

#411387  by pablo

That is exceptional news. I sincerely hope at least one of those units gets saved, and John, as always, thanks for the help and the updates.

Dave Becker

#456722  by Alcoman

As of 10/16/07, nothing has been moved.....