Railroad Forums 

• WNY&P/LA&L Gets Another Alco

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#392082  by thebigham

From the M&E forum:

C425 4264 is leaving the M&E. 4264 will soon call the Western New York & Pennsylvania / Livonia Avon & Lakeville family home.

JH/PVRX

hi

#393091  by thebigham

Sandy Burton says it is a lease not a sale.

Sandy also reports that the 4223 and 4228 may be heading to the LA&L soon.
 #393710  by Sandy Burton

More recent information from another reliable source says its a sale. So now I don't know. Whichever it is, the 4264 is going to the WNY&P. I don't think the financial arrangements are really important to the railfan community. And probably it is none of our business anyway.

Sandy

#393735  by pablo

I was under the impression that you are both right, which would account for the confusion.

Indeed, as the illustrious Sandy said, it really isn't anyone's business. Hopefully, to make everyone angry, it will be painted in the same scheme as the other NKP-looking units, using the colors pink and orange. Because they may do whatever they want with it, whether it's leased or sold.

Dave Becker

#393852  by Luther Brefo

pablo wrote:Hopefully, to make everyone angry, it will be painted in the same scheme as the other NKP-looking units, using the colors pink and orange. Because they may do whatever they want with it, whether it's leased or sold.

Dave Becker
Actually on the note of the paint scheme. It's not really the NKP paint scheme as much as it was the Lake Erie Franklin & Clarion paint scheme that number 20 (the RS-1) came with when the LA&L bought it from the LEF&C. It is my understanding that this same paint scheme or a derivative of it was what Alco would apply to any switcher of this vintage if a paint scheme were not specified on the order.

But I do enjoy your sense of humor. :)

#394010  by wess

Pink and Orange???....That speaks of a warped sense of humor or a twisted taste in colors. Cool

#394021  by pablo

I do remember the LEFC reference but also remember someone saying something about the NKP style as well. I completely believe Luther, so I'll go with that.

Pink and orange? Both a warped sense of humor and twisted. Or I'm just influenced by my daughter's webkin that seems to follow me around the house spontaneously...

Dave Becker

#394093  by RS-3

Its clearly the LEFC scheme right down to the typeface. Several people have mentioned the NKP scheme in the past but except for the colors its not even close to the NKP scheme. Wrong size and style of stripes and the lettering is wrong too. (For some reason people like to call any black and yellow scheme the NKP scheme.)

As for pick and orange, not much contrast but fresh paint is always good:-) Of course its half orange now!

RS

#394290  by Luther Brefo

RS-3 wrote:Its clearly the LEFC scheme right down to the typeface.
RS
As I was very recently informed by a person in the know about this engine and the LA&L, the typeface is actually borrowed from the Penn Central.

For those who are not aware of the locomotive in question here are some pictures:

LA&L 20:

Photo by Lester Zmudzinski.

and a photo of the original LEF&C 20 before it become LA&L 20:

http://users.adelphia.net/~starmanjb/LE ... story.html

#394368  by scottychaos

now the question is..
where did the LEF&C paint scheme come from?! :P

I believe #20 was bought new by the LEF&C, so the scheme is probably an Alco design..

well, regardless of where ti came from, its a great looking painscheme!

Scot

#394394  by RS-3

I stand correctd re the typeface. Beyond the lettering I'm pretty sure this was a fairly standard Alco switcher scheme. Or maybe the LEFC designed it but I'm pretty sure (leave myself some wiggle room this time:-) that its the scheme the LEFC RS-1's were delivered in. (Change the color to pullman green and its a good match of the old SP&S scheme too.)

I agree, it looks sharp.

RS

#394430  by pablo

I still think pink and orange would work, but i guess I'm in the minority.

Serously...a good thread would be to identify and locate any and all derelict Centuries and RS units. Where are they? Are there any? Etc...

There's the one at Gowanda that is a parts unit. John, feel free to spilt the thread.

David Becker

#394480  by Alcoman

Better yet, I will Start a NEW thread on the subject.