Railroad Forums 

• Status of M420TR # 27

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#386745  by BrianM

No, she never went down, they came up. I am not sure all what was done.

Brian

#387121  by MEC407

Thanks for the update, Brian.

We now return to our regularly scheduled Alco program, already in progress. :wink:

#387635  by The Man

BrainM: I have no idea how you got your information because I do not think I have ever talked to you and I am the guy who decides if that unit moves or stays or sells. I can tell you only two parties wanted to buy it and that SRNJ was NOT one of them. Now for the REAL story behind the 27. The unit was purchased by one of the stock holders of the Central New York Locomotive and Trains Co. and was shipped with unit #41 a high hood C-420. Once the two units made it to NY the 41 and 27 had some work done and the project stopped. Then the CNYL&T decided to exit the railroad market and the two C-420's had to be sold and the high bidder was Ed Bowers. #27 was not offered as the chapter (Who had a falling out with the owner) told the owner to remove it in 30 days or they would own it. This took place more than once. After two years of warnings they did it. They NEVER wanted to sell it and still do not want to take that road. As I said before, two railroads wanted to buy it and we told them that the unit was not for sale only lease. I think LA&L as well as the other road that was in Canada seemed OK with that. We had the chance to buy some of the parts the 27 needed and started looking for a new home for it. Adirondack needed power and I have another unit plus the CNY Chapter RDC car over in Rome so it was a given that it would work. Why John is asking of the status of the 27 is beyond me as he made it public in his newsletter and got me a a$$ chewing. At this point the 27 was ready for interchange in SYR and was waiting for some paper work on the GVT obs car #100 to be resolved so both units could move via CSX to Utica, NY. One thing that does bother me is how I can get so much flack for a three year old deal. I have had so many railroads get on my case for not selling them the 27, 41, and 2064. I told most of these lines of the sale and most felt that we wanted to much and failed to bid. Now that the same units jumped from $35-40K range to like $80,000 they seem to want to kick them self's for turning them down. It was a good deal for a group that wanted out and fast. They got it and some got left behind! Now we all know what happened and it's over. #27 will be running on the ADCR as ADIX #27 and will be there for some time. Please come ride behind her and watch as an M-420TR and an RS-3 as well as the C-424 #4243 make a great show for all the Alco fans.

#387969  by BrianM

"The Man", the broker that I went through was the same broker that I used to purchase the first 3 M420's, Ed Bowers. He is the one that gave me all of the information. As I stated in post earlier, this was before the legal case or what ever it was, was settled and just before Mr. Bowers purcashed the C420. In fact , this was around the same time that Mr. Bowers wanted to work out a deal for the SRNJ C420 #414 to go with a sister unit that he had. So, to say that the SRNJ was NOT interested is FALSE! Once the SRNJ was informed that it was only a lease, the interest was lost only because they wanted to purchase. As also stated above, when the unit became available/shopped around the SRNJ was not aware of this. If so, there would have been interest. The SRNJ is not mad for being "Left Behind" nor am I trying give any flack in any way.

Brian

#387972  by Alcoman

The Man wrote:Why John is asking of the status of the 27 is beyond me as he made it public in his newsletter and got me a a$$ chewing. At this point the 27 was ready for interchange in SYR and was waiting for some paper work on the GVT obs car #100 to be resolved so both units could move via CSX to Utica, NY.
In the Fall of 2006, I stopped in Jamesville and found a group working on the locomotive. I was told at that time, the 27 would be shipped in 2 weeks.By this time, It was no secret that the Adirondack Scenic was getting the unit.
It never left.
BTW, AlcoNotes has a subscriber base of 45 readers, not earth shaking news coverage.
So whats the problem? I asked a question since the unit sat in Jamesville since last Fall.
Has it been shipped yet???

#398096  by nessman

In the grand scheme of things, who cares?

It's a private business transaction that is of no concern to anyone except for those who are involved.

#398113  by scottychaos

nessman wrote:In the grand scheme of things, who cares?

It's a private business transaction that is of no concern to anyone except for those who are involved.
well....
if this was a forum about collecting beanie babys, and someone brought up a discussion about a M420TR, then maybe a "who cares" would be justified..

but isnt this why all of us are here?
and isnt this why these forums exist in the first place?
because we all care?! :P :wink:

many people could look at every discussion on every railfan forum in existence and say "who cares"..
I could look at every discussion on any sports forum, or nascar forum, and say "who cares"..
but I find it rather odd that in an ALCO forum someone would say "who cares" about a discussion about an Alco...

we care.
its why we are here.

Scot

#398115  by Alcoman

nessman wrote:In the grand scheme of things, who cares?

I am not sure Nessman who you were directing that remark to, but lets keep it civil.
Some of us DO CARE what is happening to the remaining Alcos and that is the purpose of the ALCO forum- to discuss and follow the whereabouts of Alcos. If you don't care, fine. Then why comment on it?
Most of us are not concerned about the business end of this transaction. That part of a discussion should be kept private.

#409403  by Luther Brefo

By the way, a friend just showed me a picture he took that verifies that the locomotive in question is currently still in Jamesville, NY as of this past weekend.

#421941  by RSD15

the 27 has now left NYSW and has made it as far as CSX dewitt yard.

#421974  by Alcoman

Asirondack Scenic-Utica/Rome

Hi

#421990  by thebigham

Great news!!

Any other Alcos in Jamesville?

#422060  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:Adirondack Scenic-Utica/Rome
Alright, thanks. I guess nothing has changed since this topic first came up.

Alcoman, if it is alright with you, now that it appears this subject may head towards Alcos at the Adirondack Scenic, I now ask:

What happened to the 2064, the black ex-LV C420. I recall the lease expired but what is it up to today? Did it become the NDC unit? And secondly, what other Alcos are on the Adirondack Scenic?

#422074  by Alcoman

The C420 # 2064 is owned by Ed Bowers and is on the Southern Appalction Ry.