Railroad Forums 

• Endangered RS3s

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#378252  by traingeek8223

With all the talk about the Delaware Lackawanna scrapping their parts engines, I decided to make a list of all the Alco RS3s, that in my opnion, are endangered. Any additions, corrections or coments are welcome.

NYC 8280: Delaware Lackawanna 134, parts, to be scrapped.

NYC 8254: Mohawk & Hudson chapter NRHS, future uncertain.

L&HR 4: Delaware Lackawanna 204, parts, to be scrapped.

L&HR 13: Nevada Northern 13, parts.

D&H 4082: Mohawk & Hudson chapter NRHS, ex. B&M 1547(1536), parts, future uncertain.

D&H 4126: City of Albany, ex. Albany Port RR 2, future uncertain.

D&H 4129: Buffalo Southern 28 (may have been sold to Winters Services), broken crank.

PRR 8479: Anthracite RR Historical Soc., derilect, future uncertain.

PRR 8604: Florida Gulf Coast RR Mus., needs restoration, maybe used for parts.

PRR 8912: RR Mus. of New England, parts for NH 529 and NH 401.

Oliver Mining 1108: ex. Minnesota Comercial, traded to NRE.

LS&I 1604: ex. Minnesota Commercial 1B, traded to NRE.

LS&I 1608: ex. Minnesota Commercial, traded to NRE.

RDG 492: United RR Historical Soc. of New Jersey, ex. Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville(DO) 103, vandalized and deteriorating in storage.

CNJ 1554: Hawk Mountain chapter NRHS. This locomotive seems to be in safe hands, but nothing has been done with it in a long time(I could be wrong). I was operational at one time.

Long Island 1555: For Sale. Located in Florida. Heard this locomotive is rough.

#378257  by traingeek8223

#378433  by traingeek8223

Thanks for the pic.

According to alcodoc DL 134 is beeing scrapped as we speak.

hi

#379138  by thebigham

Thanks for all the pics!!

#389708  by Kuyahoora Valley

Does anyone have information on the ex D&H 4126 which is owned by the city of Albany? Location, condition, etc. Is the city willing to sell?

Thank you,
KV

#390027  by traingeek8223

The 4126 is currently stored at the north end of the former D&H Colonie yards along with the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter stuff. I was told that the unit was servicable when parked, although it needed work. The stack is capped to protect it from the elements. However, some vandalism has occured( I found broken cab windows on the ground). In my opinion this unit could be fixed, but I am far from an expert and don't have all the info. The biggest problem with this unit( and the S2 that is with it) is that no one can seem to get a hold of any one from the City of Albany that can give any info on selling the unit.

#390034  by Kuyahoora Valley

TG:

Thanks for the info. Is it on live rail? I seem to remember the Colonie stuff was disconnected from the main. Hopefully it isn't vandalized too badly. I may be able to get up there in eatly June to check it out.

I'll try to get some info from the city as to their intentions with the unit.

Thanks,

KV

#390051  by DutchRailnut

traingeek8223 wrote:The 4126 is currently stored at the north end of the former D&H Colonie yards along with the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter stuff. I was told that the unit was servicable when parked, although it needed work. The stack is capped to protect it from the elements. However, some vandalism has occured( I found broken cab windows on the ground). In my opinion this unit could be fixed, but I am far from an expert and don't have all the info. The biggest problem with this unit( and the S2 that is with it) is that no one can seem to get a hold of any one from the City of Albany that can give any info on selling the unit.
Since units were probably obtained by tax department for back taxes so I would start with them.

anby satelite image of location where they are ?

#390128  by traingeek8223

The two ex. Albany Port engines were donated to a proposed museam that never got off the ground. When the charter was not renewed, ownership reverted back to the city.

None of the equipment is on live rail, however, the siding they sit on is to be reconected to the main line in order to remove the ex. Western Maryland FA2 in order to bring it to West Virgina for restoration. The Western Maryland Tech. & Histoical Sco. purchased it years ago and is finally able to move it. This was supposed to happen last fall but has been delayed.

The equipment is easy to find. It is almost directly under the Rt. 155 over pass.

#390295  by Alcoman

traingeek8223 wrote:The two ex. Albany Port engines were donated to a proposed museam that never got off the ground. When the charter was not renewed, ownership reverted back to the city.

None of the equipment is on live rail, however, the siding they sit on is to be reconected to the main line in order to remove the ex. Western Maryland FA2 in order to bring it to West Virgina for restoration. The Western Maryland Tech. & Histoical Sco. purchased it years ago and is finally able to move it. This was supposed to happen last fall but has been delayed.

The equipment is easy to find. It is almost directly under the Rt. 155 over pass.
I was down there yesterday and it appears that nothing has been done on FA-2 to make it moveable. In fact, I found at least 3 large side panels missing from the unit which were replaced 15 years ago when it was supposed to be moved then.
One correction. The FA-2 # 302 is LEASED to the above mentioned Society, not purchased.
As a side note: 2 men were dismantling the passenger car yesterday(Sun) that sits directly behind the FA. The car was sold to someone in Quebec who is stripping it for parts in preparation for the car to be scrapped.

#390523  by Kuyahoora Valley

Alcoman...what's your take on the Albany Port engines...were they running when parked? Any idea of the extent of the vandalism? Do you know if they have roller bearings? Are they located as to allow decent photographs?

Appreciate any info in advance of me making a trip up there. Hope to be there early June.

Thanks,

KV

#390534  by Alcoman

Both were runners when stored. Both needed some work. The RS-3 has RB while the S-2 FB trucks.
Better get up there soon before the weeds get high. You may be able to shoot from them from The East side. That woud be a morning shot.

#390851  by Alcoman

Update to the above post.

Today(Tue) I went back to the equipment to check on a report I received yesterday regarding the locomotives.
I discovered that the S-2 is now missing a coupler. Whoever removed it had to have had cutting torches as the coupler pocket was cut as well as the air hose and pipe along with the snow plow-a real butcher job.
In addition, the RS-3 coupler was being held up by a piece of steel as if they had started to remove that one as well.
The B&M unit is also missing a coupler and the S-1(417) is missing both of them.
It appears that they were after just the couplers..nothing else.

#390871  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote: It appears that they were after just the couplers..nothing else.
Who are "they"? Vandals? Thieves? The Historical society?