Railroad Forums 

• PB-1 exists

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#299773  by Paul

Another small differance in the drop equalizer beams: F-M units were cast, while Alco and Baldwin used flame cut plate steel. F-M felt casting was better becuz of stress caused when cutting with the torch. Funny, I have straigtened many an GSC drop equalizer beem but never saw one ever broken.

Good to see you Dave. Where you at now?

#299774  by Paul

Also, something that came to mind...sometime in 1986 or 87 there was I think a PB steam heat car on the P&W..but, it could have been an EB units as well, but for some stupid reason I thought it was a PB.

#299846  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sitting up here, in Oregon. We are having a decent discussion, on the trucks, over in the FM forum, Paul........ :-D

#300359  by Paul

Are you at Hinkle?????

#300445  by GOLDEN-ARM

Nope, not at Hinkle............ :P

(see my first post, on the previous page.......)

#300547  by rdganthracite

Paul wrote:Another small differance in the drop equalizer beams: F-M units were cast, while Alco and Baldwin used flame cut plate steel. F-M felt casting was better becuz of stress caused when cutting with the torch. Funny, I have straigtened many an GSC drop equalizer beem but never saw one ever broken.
Are you sure that the drop equilizers used on F-Ms weren't forgings?

#300571  by BR&P

The P&W steam car was an EMD E unit IIRC - it's been many years and can't recall if it was an A or B unit. If memory serves me it was bought by an individual at an Amtrak auction, stored on Ontario Midland RR, then sold by the owner and moved to P&W. This would have been somewhere about 1983-84. No idea if it still exists or not.

#300634  by Paul

Are you sure that the drop equilizers used on F-Ms weren't forgings?
Thats it' Sorry, I guess I am just getting to old to remember the trivial stuff.

#300961  by DutchRailnut

BR&P wrote:The P&W steam car was an EMD E unit IIRC - it's been many years and can't recall if it was an A or B unit. If memory serves me it was bought by an individual at an Amtrak auction, stored on Ontario Midland RR, then sold by the owner and moved to P&W. This would have been somewhere about 1983-84. No idea if it still exists or not.
Correct Providence & Worchester Px-1 is a E9B unit with just two HEP units in it.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A4

and its still active and used.