Railroad Forums 

• What is this light for?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#221623  by joshuahouse

I am looking at a photo I took of LAL's #422 which is a C424M back in early Febuary and I noticed a small light at about the same level as the ditch lights just above the front walkway. It is slightly off the center line and while it seems to be on when the ditch lights are on the light doesn't look like it would project very far. Can anyone tell me what it is for, until I noticed that it had bolts around it I was under the impression that it was a floater its so small.

#221627  by Cactus Jack

Sounds like you are describing the front (or rear) walkway light to illuminate the walkway for safety of trainmen and enginemen at night

Those damn Centuries were easy to almost fall off of, especially in winter with a slick deck as you went from the cab, "over the void" at the steps and around to the front.

#221777  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yes, that indeed is the crosswalk light, for crossing between the units. A small piece of glass, or plastic, there is a standard 75 volt lightbulb, inside the nose, providing the light. It is off center, because of the sand trap pipe, coming out of the center of the sandbox, located inside the nose. (either end) When they work, they provide all the light you need, for negotiating the crossovers, while being rocked from side to side, while trundling down the road...... :-D

#222786  by trainiac

Most locos have those kind of lights on the ends, along with a bunch of similar lights under the cab and in the steps. EMD units also have a light at the end of the blower duct on the left walkway.