Railroad Forums 

• Any good Alcos for Sale out there?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#203499  by BrianM

Both of the units are stored on the SRNJ. Pics of the RS1 and C420 can be found at www.srnjrr.com as well as this forum site. The RS1 is the exWT unit.

Brian

K&K

#207300  by thebigham

Knox & Kane RS36 is for sale.

Chris

#210439  by 2spot

A former Maine Coast, ex-N&W ALCo RS-11 being stored on the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon is for sale on Railswap. Also two ex- GTW CS9s, ALCo S-4s repowered with Cat D398 PMs. The RS-11 is listed at $35,000. The CS-9s are$30,000 each or $50,000 for the pair. http://www.railswap.org BTW, the same page still has 2 ALCo S-2s in NM .

#211121  by Legio X

I think that the RS-11 has dual-controls for operation in either direction, and a high-short hood. Someone should let the A&M, SRNJ, DL or LA&L know about this unit.

#211126  by MEC407

Maine Coast labeled it an RS11M. Not sure what kind of modifications/changes the M represents, but it does have a high nose and was a good runner when Maine Coast owned it. $35K doesn't seem too unreasonable, assuming it still runs well and doesn't need anything major.

#219407  by BrianM

Legio X wrote:I think that the RS-11 has dual-controls for operation in either direction, and a high-short hood. Someone should let the A&M, SRNJ, DL or LA&L know about this unit.

The SRNJ is not interested in a RS11 unit. RS18 on up would be of interest for them.

Brian

#219585  by 2spot

This is the first time I've seen anyone with operating authority (Not a modeler) choose an RS-18 over an RS-11. I thought an RS-18 was effectively a Canadian version of the Alco RS-11. I'm wrong, obviously. Can anyone tell me how, besides minor bodywork differences, they differ?

#219589  by Alcoman

Legio X wrote:I think that the RS-11 has dual-controls for operation in either direction, and a high-short hood. Someone should let the A&M, SRNJ, DL or LA&L know about this unit.
I know that DL is presently not interested as they have plently of work to do on their other motive power. I think one of their next projects may include restoring RS-11 # 324 back into service.

#219885  by tgibson

Hi,

I believe the RS-11 had an early (complicated) electrical control system, while RS-36's and later (including RS-18's?) had a simplified system. There might be other differences too??

Hope this helps,

#219898  by BrianM

Trainlawyer wrote:
BrianM wrote: The SRNJ is not interested in a RS11 unit. RS18 on up would be of interest for them.Brian
My curiosity is getting aroused here. Mr. Mott, are you speaking as an officer / employee of the SRNJ or is that merely your personal understanding?

GME

More or less as an Affilaite.

Brian
 #219946  by EDM5970

Generally speaking, the switchers and the RS-1 had split pole excitation. RS-2s and RS-3s had amplidyne, the RS-11 and RS-18 had static, the RS-36 had an early electronic excitation (red card) and the Centuries had the plug-in blue card electronic (Type E) excitation. One exception was the C-415, with three field and a Woodward governor. Shades of another builder-

2spot is not mistaken, however. The RS-18 is based on the RS-11, differing only in body details and (sometimes) the Canadian trucks i.e. sans leaf springs. I've been around a few of each-
 #224455  by 2spot

Just an update on the VIA LRCs. VIA has sold two of the six LRCs to Diesel Electric Services. There is a rumour that they might replace the RDCs at White River. Here they are awaiting pickup by CP: http://tinyurl.com/zahut http://tinyurl.com/kxkfh Four remain in storage.

#232807  by 2spot

Firstly, BrianM, I didnt mean to cause anything by implying that you had any authority on the SRNJ. I'm reasonably sure you're not the one in authority, but know people who are well enough to answer in their place for the purposes of this forum. Sorry for any inconvenience.