Railroad Forums 

• Who am I?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#158622  by N. Todd

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=131410
This locomotive appears to have been somewhat recently aquired at the time it was shot. If one looks closely, the stack of a small engine, screening at the front end of the hood, and roller-bearing Blunt trucks give it away as a quazi-zombie unit. Anyone know the origin of this unit?

Off topic, check out one of the trucks under the Lima seen at <http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=9508>

#158684  by GOLDEN-ARM

Your monitor must be better than mine, Todd, as I can't see the "pony-engine" you are refering to. Roller bearings are no big deal, and can be installed on any friction bearing equipment. I scrolled through the other photos, in the persons site, where this on was posted, and couldn't find another shot, of this loco. Nice to see an Alco being treated kindly, though. Regards :wink:
 #158915  by Komachi

Nick,

Here's some more info. for you. The header on that photograph says it was taken in New Ulm, MN, and my mother is originally from that area of Minnesota and I have relatives who live in and around the New Ulm area and we go and visit them quite a few times a year. I might be able to get another pic. or two of that unit for you, although I can't promise much, as I am the only railfan in the family and trying to get Dad to take a side trip to look for a locomotive is like asking to take a side trip to Timbuktu.

New Ulm has a few large industries, such as the Schell's Brewery (Schell's Beer, 1919 Root Beer and Buddy's Orange soda) and a KRAFT plant, however, after googling the NUQX reporting marks, it says that the reporting marks belong to the New Ulm Quartzite Quaries Inc.

Here's a link to a PDF (will need Adobe Acrobat to read it) with more info.
http://railinc.org/train2_archive/train0405.pdf

Also, here's a link to New Ulm Quartzite Quarries Inc.'s webpage...
http://www.nuqq.com/mission.htm

It says that they provide agrigate material (a component for concrete) for construction projects, rip rap, railroad ballast, landscaping rock, bags of "portable traction" for icy roads (we northern folk use a sand-like material for traction on slippery roads, sidewalks, driveways, etc. in the winter), and poultry grit (birds, including chickens and turkeys, use rocks and pebbles to help break down and digest their food).

Neat, huh?

Hope that gives you a little more background on that S-2's new home.

#159190  by N. Todd

Your monitor must be better than mine, Todd, as I can't see the "pony-engine" you are refering to. Roller bearings are no big deal, and can be installed on any friction bearing equipment.
I have highlighted what might be the stack in red below. Although that could just be part of the backround, and the actual exaust being that spark arrester looking thingy over the shutters. The logo on the hood has been contrasted so somebody might be able to identify the previous owner.
As for roller bearings, most railroads owning blunt-trucked units retain friction bearings because roller conversion kits are expensive. I have heard up to $15K? Usually, if the unit has a vacuum engine and roller blunts, there is more than a good chance that the loco passed through the Cleveland Apparatus shop or possibly Southern Rails in the 70s or early 80s.
And speaking of GE-CAS, those two South Beefalo S-6s went there. Arnie Morscher shot #45 on 4/15/04 http://www.morscher.com/rr/2004/20040415_03.jpg So have these lost their identity yet or are they becoming one with the rails?

Komachi, did New Ulm have a tornado come through it in July 2003? Anyway, if you do find the critter, check for a number (e.g. "S1899") above the coupler. That could really help us narrow down the "search".
Last edited by N. Todd on Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#159194  by GOLDEN-ARM

Did you actually see this engine, or are you looking at a picture, from someone else. That "spark arrestor" looks exactly like a cyclone style roof vent, that would go on the roof of a building. (is a building behind the loco?) A pony-style engine, used to run a winterizing hot water heater, or portable generator would normally have an exhaust stack about the same size of a tailpipe, on a pick-up truck (2 1/2") It wouldn't make sense to worry about arresting the carbon, on a pony engine/auxilliary power plant, and not try to "catch" the carbon out of the main stack. Also, if the stack you have highlighted is actually the exhaust stack, then it would appear to have been repowered, perhaps CAT powered ? That small of a stack would be a major restriction, on the Alco's ability to "breath". Just my opinion, based on what I am able to see, in the included pix. Good luck, on tracing the history, it will be interesting to hear the rest of the story. Regards :wink:

#159342  by BSOR Patarak

Is it possible that this is one of the S series units that GE converted?

I have seen their work on West Virginian coal mine units. They turned the Blunts into Roller Bearing, took off the 539 blocks and gen sets. They put in smaller 6 cylinder Cummins and a small generator. They were only good for very slow switching on flat ground. Good for small industry that only move a couple of cars at a time. The smaller components made for easier maintenace. Not very good for resale though. Many were cut up and only the trucks saved.

Pat Connors
BSOR

#164532  by oibu

Actually that unit looks STARTINGLY like one that used to work coal for a company in southern WV, on CSX (ex C&O) west of White Sulphur Spings and north of Hinton (can't remember name of town or coal company off the top of my head).

#421715  by N. Todd

Actually that unit looks STARTINGLY like one that used to work coal for a company in southern WV, on CSX (ex C&O) west of White Sulphur Spings and north of Hinton (can't remember name of town or coal company off the top of my head).
Maple Meadow Mining?

Ii just got a slide of the unit in fresh paint, just has the MM symbol.
 #622535  by N. Todd

This Alco's identity has been solved:
built 7/49 c/n 76932 as Donora Southern 5
to N&SS 1011
repowered @ GE-Cleveland 3/80
Majestic Mining 1
Buffalo Creek & Gauley/The Pittston Co. 3/86
Peerless Eagle Coal
(all Widen, WV)
New Ulm Quartzite Quarries 2004
Last edited by N. Todd on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #622846  by mowingman

I just signed up on this forum, and what do I see, an old Alco switcher that really looks familiar.
This is a former Majestic Mining unit. It was repowered with a Cummins engine many years ago.
What is really interesting is that it is the very last commercial motive power to operate over the Buffalo Creek and Gauley Railroad in West Virginia. After quite a period of inactivity, the mining company decided it needed to move the engine out, as the B&O had quite running the connecting line and they did not want the engine to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. So, they sent a crew out to run it back to active trackage. It took two days to get it back to track still in operation at that time.
A reporter for a Community TV station filmed part of both days operation. The film runs about 40 minutes long. You can watch it at www.summersvilletv.com
Go to the archives section, and I think it is under the "historical" category. It is titled " Last Train out of Widen, W.Va.
Jeff
 #622898  by tomjohn

Gentlemen ,

Good day. Please remind yourselves that the railroad isn't named South Beefalo,it is SOUTH BUFFALO Railroad. And yes, I am very particular when it comes to someone making fun of my Hometown and the railroads that once and now serve the BUFFALO,NY area!!

Tom
Formerly of the BUFFALO,NY area

Re:

#956312  by thebigham

N. Todd wrote:
Your monitor must be better than mine, Todd, as I can't see the "pony-engine" you are refering to. Roller bearings are no big deal, and can be installed on any friction bearing equipment.
I have highlighted what might be the stack in red below. Although that could just be part of the backround, and the actual exaust being that spark arrester looking thingy over the shutters. The logo on the hood has been contrasted so somebody might be able to identify the previous owner.

As for roller bearings, most railroads owning blunt-trucked units retain friction bearings because roller conversion kits are expensive. I have heard up to $15K? Usually, if the unit has a vacuum engine and roller blunts, there is more than a good chance that the loco passed through the Cleveland Apparatus shop or possibly Southern Rails in the 70s or early 80s.
And speaking of GE-CAS, those two South Beefalo S-6s went there. Arnie Morscher shot #45 on 4/15/04 http://www.morscher.com/rr/2004/20040415_03.jpg So have these lost their identity yet or are they becoming one with the rails?

Komachi, did New Ulm have a tornado come through it in July 2003? Anyway, if you do find the critter, check for a number (e.g. "S1899") above the coupler. That could really help us narrow down the "search".
S-6 #45 was recently scrapped.