Railroad Forums 

• Introducing WNYP Alco RS3m 406.

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1387817  by scottychaos

The newest member of the LAL/WNYP family, WNYP Alco RS3m No. 406, was unveiled on June 6, 2016 in Olean NY.
The WNYP sent out a notice to various forums around the internet inviting the public to come out for the unveiling! :) (thanks WNYP!) For 6pm on June 6.

WNYP 406 is an Alco RS3m. She was built new for the D&H in 1952 as a standard Alco RS3, D&H No. 4112, one of nearly 100 RS3's on the D&H.
In 1975 she was chosen as one of eight D&H RS3's for rebuilding. They were sent to Morrison-Knudsen and emerged as rebuilt RS3m's, with new prime movers,
chopped noses, and other upgrades. 4112 returned from M-K as one of two D&H Bicentennial units, number 1976:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2114596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was later renumbered to D&H 506. In 1988 she was sold to the Tioga Central Railroad in Owego, NY, where she would operate as an excursion locomotive.
In 1994 she moved with the Tioga Central to Wellsboro PA, and continued her career as an excursion locomotive, still wearing her D&H bicentennial paint!
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/151614/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(It is believed the 506 was the last surviving 1976 bicentennial locomotive still wearing her bicentennial paint, 40 years later)
She is also the only survivor of the eight D&H RS3m's.

Then, in 2014, the Tioga Central sold its Alcos. The LAL/WNYP bought the 506 and moved her to Olean.
Which leads us up to June 6, 2016, and the unveiling of the 4112/1976/506/406, now refurbished, repainted, renumbered, and ready to go to work for her 3rd owner at the age of 64!

It was an absolutely beautiful day! about 70 degrees, clear sky, bright sun, no humidity..couldn't ask for a nicer evening.
I arrived about 5:30 and some railfans were already gathering:

WNYP Road power is bedded down for the evening:

Mr. Belke and other crew members from the WNYP came out to welcome us, and tell us all about the history of the new locomotive..

And here she comes! the star of the evening, WNYP 406!

Looking sharp in her new LAL black and yellow paint! :-D

I counted about 20 to 25 visitors:

We got to tour the shop! :P

406 back in her "stall" for the night:

4223 is now a parts unit. She is providing parts to the 430.

430 will live-on, thanks to parts from her sister unit:

Back outside for a last look around:

Last shot of the day. Alcos and MLW's still hard at work:

THANK YOU to Mr. Belke and the whole crew at the WNYP for hosting this event! Image
and thank you for all you do to keep these beautiful machines alive..we all appreciate it!

thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1387850  by tgibson

Wow! Thanks so much for the very complete picture series! That was quite an event indeed, even shots inside the shop. Great to see that the Centuries and even RS-3s are still earning their keep. Too bad Olean is so far from California...

Thanks again,
 #1387903  by AVR Mark

Does number 406 have LED Headlights and Ditchlights ? Those lights sure look different from anything I've seen so far.

Mark
 #1387931  by scottychaos

AVR Mark wrote:Does number 406 have LED Headlights and Ditchlights ? Those lights sure look different from anything I've seen so far.

Mark
yep, LED's..VERY bright! :-D
I didnt think to take a detail shot when I was right up next to the locomotive! :(
lights were off, and I could have taken a close-up of a light cluster from two feet away..alas.
(someone else might have the shot and post it later..)
here is the best I can do, a crop from one of my full-size pics of the full locomotive..sorry its not very clear:

Scot
 #1387956  by Allen Hazen

When I reached the designation "RS3m" in your initial post (second paragraph) I almost yawned and thought "another PC/CR EMD re-power." What a pleasant surprise to see what the modification REALLY was!

Looks beautifully maintained!
 #1388054  by scottychaos

tgibson wrote:Yep, I'd call that an RS3u instead!
We've debated RS3m versus RS3u before, and the evidence points to RS3m for the D&H units..
There is no actual historical data, that anyone has yet been able to produce, that says the D&H ever used RS3u.
Here is the old discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=157091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has any new info to add, I would be interested in hearing about it! :)
Scot
 #1388694  by MEC407

Never imagined I'd see LEDs on an RS3 of any kind, M, U, or otherwise! Awesome!
 #1388763  by tj48

Two questions......
Did they mention what they plan to use the 406 for?
Did anybody ask if the Dynamic Brakes were still operational?