Railroad Forums 

• WINDSOR & HANDSPORT RS-23'S TO BE RETIRED

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#153005  by Alcoman

Recently, it was posted that the W&H will be retiring their fleet of MLW RS-23's in favor of GP-9's.
They are being phased out as more GP-9's or other GMD power arrives.
If you don't have pictures of these rare switchers, get them NOW!

One can only hope that they will be purchased by other railroads for continued service.

#177911  by Alcoman

Just learned that some or all of these have been sold. More information later.

#178515  by Alcoman

I called the W&H today to find out if indeed the Alcos have been sold..No answer yet. The person I wanted to speak to was not there.

#180302  by 2spot

Alcoman, any word on those RS23s? Which Geeps did they buy?

#181335  by Alcoman

The entire fleet of RS-23's are for sale and the price is open to offers.
They have 6 runners and 7 parts units. Contact me if you wish to buy them and I can give you the packet of information. Serious inquirys only please.
They have GP-9's

The only reason they are selling them is to reduce the number of locomotives they need to pull a train.

#181355  by 2spot

Thats a pretty good answer. Any idea where Marine Diesel got its five 6-251s? Are these the ones from South America (Chile?) from some time back?

#181365  by Alcoman

I am not sure, but it appears these are the same locomotives. Marine is acting like a broker for them.
However, I talked with the W&H RR today and he offered me a finders fee if I can sell them for him.
 #182037  by 2spot

Alcoman. Are they still asking $65K US per unit? 8014 sold at auction in Vancouver six or eight months ago for $13K Canadian. I was the backup bidder.( it was about then I realised I had nowhere to put it and would be paying $50 a day to store it) Granted it needed work.The best picture I could find was at http://www.railequipment.com.au/Sales/l ... LDS015.htm The picture is pretty much as it was when sold.

#182536  by Alcoman

The price can be dickered with. I have complete set of specs with photos. A 14 page document. If your e-mail can handle that, I can send it to you.
Send me a note via e-mail as I don't have your e-mail after I had to format my hard drive. I lost everything.
John

#182553  by N. Todd

Re Frasier Surrey Docks (?) 8014, I knew it was sold awhile back, what became of it?
 #182657  by 2spot

I've lost track of it. It went to Southern Railway of BCs (SRY reporting marks) shops where it apparently had some work done. Since then my similar questions have gone unanswered. For all I know its still under a tarp at SRY. It should still be around, though. See posts under the heading 'Canadian Railfan'.