Railroad Forums 

• Resurrecting Alco RS3 SAL 1633, aka NYC 8277 - Help

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1338495  by davethegeek

At the Florida RR Museum we are attempting to get our (SAL-1633) RS3 running after 5-6 years of sitting idle. I have taken lead on the project and could use some technical info on the 17MG6 governor. Specifically the documentation I have found on-line shows governor rheostats with adjustable wiper arms. The wiper arms on our governor are keyed on the shafts and I can not figure out how to adjust them so they start in the proper sections of the commutators - the resistor segments.
Does anyone have information on adjusting these rheostats that don't have the adjustable wiper arms?
Beyond that, I would be glad to exchange anything I learn with anyone who may benefit. Here's a link to a You Tube of our first "start" after 5-6 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8i9norN6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I just need to get it to run for more than 15-20 seconds -- we will, with a little help