Railroad Forums 

• EX-SP RS-32 ON THE MOVE

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#146442  by 6088

Well they un-bumped it, and it departed City of Industry at 15:41 today!!

On it's way to..... ANOTHER HUMP YARD!!!

#146815  by rocketman

Paul,
Are you from Selkirk?

#148041  by Paul

I worked at SK from 88-93 when I moved out to California to get married. Do I know you? If you work at SK, ask about "The Biird Man".
 #148046  by 6088

Well the locomotive is in El Centro, expecting to head to Seeley tomorrow, and Campo on Tuesday. It has been a long ride, but no more hump yards for it to venture through.

I spoke with the hogger on the El Centro job, and he is going to keep an eye on the loco for us, and it just happens to be facing the way we want it to.

Nuff for Now!
 #148846  by 6088

Well the RS 32 is on the SDAE now, being hauled to Campo via the CZRy. It is due into Campo around 8:00pm, and should be tucked away in our yards tomorrow morning.

Dave

#150247  by Paul

Well, it's about time. Almost four months to move about 500 miles. And they say I am slow.
 #150252  by 6088

Well it is finally home, my SUSPICION is, it spent some time on the ground. There are some signs that it might have, but haven't seen anything that prooves it. Got a lot of work to do on this one, but I haven't seen anything too bad. The MU air lines have been cut and capped, LOTS of cosmetic work. The DB hatch we aquired appears to have been on fire at one time, so not sure how much stuff will be good in there, but the hatch is good, and we have a blower for a core if nothing else.

#150260  by LCJ

Post some pictures if you can, please.
 #150311  by 6088

This is what happened to the coupler on the way...

If you want.. I can post some more.

#150317  by LCJ

Looks great (potentially, of course). Thanks.

#150528  by Paul

Post a picture of her at Campo so I can sleep well. BYT, 6068, no one there is alowed to touch her until we are done with the RSX-4. Just get that gred hatch in order and get some cable so we can use it as a load box. Did you all get that 244 clean and shiny so I can work my magic?
 #150602  by 6088

Well Paul, some minor stuff might get done to it prior to completion of the 2104, such as I have someone in mind to clean up the cab and nose. I want to start a fund raising drive for the locomotive, and it would be nice to have a clean cab to show people. Still trying to get those other combos, but not getting any return calls from those who I need to hear from. Might try to send some take home projects with Bill to get some metal work done on stuff that can be removed to rebuild (smallish things)

I was told the 2104 has been steam cleaned, wether or not it is up to your standards, who knows. I am going to try and set up a needle gun day to finish up the paint prep on it.

Well here are some photos.

Ok, not the best photo, a little dark, but it shows where we parked it. Sorry I didn't crop any of these, my computer is jacking up, and I can't open my photo editing software.

Head on view.

Rear toward front firemans side view.

Here's the hatch, I am quite sure this was on fire at some point, kinda looks like it, and lots of powder inside.

Now for some fun photos....

Can ya tell me the significance of this one?

Here is the left side of the rear coupler pocket, showing some fresh damage, the busted coupler was on the other end.

Here is the rear coupler.. kinda looks like something went over this. Bill and I did some rough checking on this to see if it was as worn as the front one, and there is very little play in this one, so maybe it is not worn out.

#151200  by Paul

I notice derail damage in the picture at the museum, but no damage on the on the pilot while it was on the QRVML. Yeah, she was sent over the hump. The wheels have the tell tale from the retarders. The wheels never lie. Too bad it didnt have a snow plow on her as she would have taken out the retarders for lack of clearance. The coupler pocket has impact damage. Like I suspected, a crosed coupler. Need to find a good clear photo of her front wind sheet at Portola or anywhere on the QRVML portion of the trip to determin if she went on the ground. Send UP the bill for the coupler and gas to get it.