Railroad Forums 

• 50 Alcos in 3 Days

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1069811  by mandealco

Hi
Thought you might like to see some of the photos we shot during a 3 day detour during our recent vacation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyWb39O-ZvE

Hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Steve
New Zealand

Alco posted on M&E and LA&L forum.
 #1070758  by trainspot

Very nice! Good to see recent views of some, even if they're not operating. Too bad you couldn't squeeze in D-L and make it around 75!
 #1078894  by PheonixDragon

Does make me think of a late friend of mine, whose company has 21 different railroad lines, including freight operations in Australia. My friend was Richard Watkins, who was the founder of "Watkins America" (reporting marks - WAMX). Many of the railroads that WAMX owns, uses Alcos; along with early model EMDs (F series, early SD and GP).
Two of the photos were of diesels in a train with whay appeared to be plastic covered equipment. Do you have any idea as to what was under the plastic covers?
 #1080335  by mandealco

Hi
The blue plastic wraps cover passenger cars.
Cheers
Steve
 #1080506  by mowingman

Phoenix,
This info is not correct. WAMX means "Webb Asset Management". This is the locomotive leasing division of the WATCO company. WATCO owns the railroads and operates them under the WATCO corporate name. The founder and owner of WATCO was Dick Webb. He passed away a few years ago, and his family members now run the operations.
I don't believe WATCO/WAMX has any Alcos in operation, (not sure they ever had any at all), probably no early SD's, and is currently weeding out few old GP's that remain. They do have a couple of F units for the Kentucky dinner train.
Jeff

PheonixDragon wrote:Does make me think of a late friend of mine, whose company has 21 different railroad lines, including freight operations in Australia. My friend was Richard Watkins, who was the founder of "Watkins America" (reporting marks - WAMX). Many of the railroads that WAMX owns, uses Alcos; along with early model EMDs (F series, early SD and GP).
Two of the photos were of diesels in a train with whay appeared to be plastic covered equipment. Do you have any idea as to what was under the plastic covers?