Railroad Forums 

• Volunteering in the Albany Area?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#950547  by B&M 1227

Hello Gentlemen,
I'll be starting college in Bennington Vermont towards the end of August. A quick search turned up very little, but I was wondering what exists in the way of Railroad clubs in the general area of Southern Vermont/Eastern New York/Western Massachusetts.
I know there is Berkshire Scenic to the south, but that is a little further than I'd wish to travel. Are there any others? I'm looking to get my fix of "playing" with trains with some sort of organization that accepts volunteers or members.
Thank you,
Alex
 #977862  by Engineer Spike

The Leatherstocking NRHS has an operation on the ex D&H Cooperstown Branch, near Oneonta, but again that is even further than BS. There is also the group out of Kingston. BS wuold be the closest. I don't know if VRS/GMRC uses any volunteer labor on its excursions.
 #984124  by rovetherr

The VRS doesn't use volunteers, hell, we barely run passenger trains anymore! You might want to try to get a hold of someone at the Battenkill RR, they don't run passenger trains anymore, but they might be looking for help and I believe they might use volunteers when they get them.